Star Lounger
    Thanks

Increase contrast of printed .pdf

I have a line drawing (black on white) in a PDF document that appears ok on-screen; however, when actually printed the drawn lines and dimensions appear too faint for easy reading. Similarly, other printed pages containing type in the document appear faint but they are at least legible. I have no other source: the .Pdf doc is it.

Is there a way to increase the contrast (a poor way, perhaps, of saying that I want more ink on the paper.

I am using Acrobat 7 and a laser printer. I have searched Acrobat menu options & the printer setup option in Acrobat but I have not found a way. The economy mode for the printer to save toner is off
    Last edited by Duncan_1; 2015-08-17 at 13:47.

Thanks
    If there is it will most likely be in your printer driver or printer properties.

Another way may be in changing the compression ratio in your pdf viewer. There may be a difference in viewers with this.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    Duncan:

Try this: When you go to print a document in Adobe, click Print, then Advanced. Then check the "Print as image" box.

This will hopefully make the printout more closely match what you see on the screen.

Also, make sure that you aren't printing in draft quality.

Jim

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim

Used the "print as image" & success! While not ideal, it is legible & a significant improvement. Thanks for the tip.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duncan_1 For This Useful Post:

jduncan (2015-08-20),mrjimphelps (2015-08-18)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The size of the original PDF might be a problem, too. If the original drawing was A0 size, with lines of 0.5mm for dimensions (such as a technical drawing), then scaled to an A4 size, the line will be very thin. It is possible that the line thickness when scaled down is approaching the resolution of the laser printer.

In Acrobat Reader, select File, Properties, to get the size of the original PDF. If it is very large, that might be the problem.

Try printing just a section of the drawing - that would give you an indicator.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are two solutions.
    1. Overprint the document. Run it through the printer twice by hand feeding it to the printer one page at a time.
    2. If you have Photoshop, multiply it and re-save it. You can multiply it many times.
    You can also adjust the contrast and or Levels.
    Look at the help documentation to do these.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try to extract the image from the PDF (I don't use Adobe, PDF-XChange Editor instead, I don't know if the PDF-XChange Viewer, freeware, will let you extract images, see http://www.tracker-software.com/; or else search the internet for image extract pdf). Run the extracted image thru an image editor (FastStone works really well for this, it's free and highly regarded; or IrfanView, or you viewer/editor of choice). In FastStone, I play with Adjust Colors (Gamma adjustment) or Levels.

If your setup (screen size, etc) permits, and if the pic is small enough, try a screen capture and then process in an image viewer/editor.

The above suggestions are relatively unsophisticated, "quick-and-dirty" methods.

--George