Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Understanding Windows 10 privacy settings

An article by Paul Thurrott which may clear up some things - Windows 10 Tip: Understand and Configure Privacy Settings

Joe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

PeachesP (2015-08-18)

Thanks
    Whilst I am not to paranoid about the privacy Issue (beyond the obvious concern for ensuring optimum protection from virus, spam, phishing, hacking etc) I am concerned that my Privacy Settings in Win 10 have now been "re-set", on two occasions, to those recommended in "express install" after automatic updates have been installed. NOT ACCEPTABLE, IMHO! (Anyone else had this happen?)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Is this after applying a cumulative update? I thought I noticed something similar on one system but did not really take the time to investigate.

Joe

Thanks
    I have all the updates and I just looked at most of my privacy settings and nothing has changed so far.

Thanks
    @Joe: Yes.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    People may be interested to know that the defraggers O&O have brought out a tool called ShutUp10 for easy manipulation of the Windows 10 privacy settings...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2015-08-19)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems as if every piece of software now wants to allow it to track something to "improve the user experience" <retch>

I'm quite sure that makers of toilet paper are missing out on a good deal here. Think of what they could learn if the paper could report back on how it was being used. Think what great advances they could make if they just knew what percentage of users folded vs crumpled and whether there were regional differences in how many sheets per wipe.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    I'm quite sure that makers of toilet paper are missing out on a good deal here. Think of what they could learn if the paper could report back on how it was being used. Think what great advances they could make if they just knew what percentage of users folded vs crumpled and whether there were regional differences in how many sheets per wipe.
    IoTP?

Perhaps a snapshot submitted to "Ask me anything" Cortana could calculate the number of sheets required for a particular job and dispense the appropriate quantity.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    It seems as if every piece of software now wants to allow it to track something to "improve the user experience" <retch>
    I'd say that many websites track you -- in other words, Google pays them, and then Google tracks you. If you don't believe that, try blocking google.com and other Google-related sites in your router, and see how far you get when you try to surf the web.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In October when the upgrade, which some people are calling Windows 10.1, but which Microsoft is not calling anything, is downloaded, unless you select the custom install and go through each setting, all of the privacy settings will be reset to Microsofts preferences, not yours.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    In October when the upgrade, which some people are calling Windows 10.1, but which Microsoft is not calling anything, is downloaded, unless you select the custom install and go through each setting, all of the privacy settings will be reset to Microsofts preferences, not yours.
    That seems unlikely to me. How do you know?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    In October when the upgrade, which some people are calling Windows 10.1, but which Microsoft is not calling anything,
    That's interesting about the version, lots of folks kept referring to Windows 8.1.1 but none of my 5 computers with Win8.1 and fully updated ever showed that version number. Must have been the same who are talking about Win10.1??

But then Microsoft is pushing Win10 as an update when going by all previous versions it is actually an Upgrade as used in changing from one version to another while improvements to an installation is an update. It's semantics but it's also Microsoft's propensity of changing things around with the apparent reason for creating confusion as they did with Outlook Express, Outlook and Outlook.com and Works and Works Suite.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-09-04 at 18:52.