Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Looking for simple free software to scroll a webpage for copying and then cropping the image

I'm looking for simple free software to scroll a webpage for copying and then rectangularly cropping the image. Don't need to do any more editing of the image. I have an old version of Snagit, which I loved but not sure if I want to spend the bucks to upgrade it.

Thanks

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Have you tried Windows Snipping Tool - Win 7 and above?

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-08-19)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Take a look at Greenshot.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    scroll a webpage for copying
    Capturing a scrolled webpage is much more difficult than simple screen captures. Sometimes it is easier to get IF the webpage is opened in a NEW WINDOW. You may want to try NEW WINDOW for captures before looking for specific capture utilities. Sometimes it is the only wy to know if the capture utility can do it.
    Michael

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You could shrink the web page in the browser to fit what you want on screen.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you use Firefox, there is an extension called, “Abduction”. Upon right clicking any web page, it allows you to select a scrolled section. You can then save the scrolled selection to either JPG or PNG. Your selection is cropping!!! You can adjust all 4 selected/cropped sides before saving.
    Gmail is an obstruction to the Abduction extension. The secret to getting cropped gmails is to tell gmail you are going to print the page. Gmail will then open a new tab with a more user friendly view. The new tab can easily be scroll captured with the abduction extension.
    Don’t forget to cancel the print option prior to scroll capturing. I find this very useful for capturing hotel reservation records. There is a lot of junk on those reservation docs that I simply don’t need.
    Michael

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael37713 For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-08-19),mrjimphelps (2015-08-18)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael37713 View Post
    Capturing a scrolled webpage is much more difficult than simple screen captures. Sometimes it is easier to get IF the webpage is opened in a NEW WINDOW. You may want to try NEW WINDOW for captures before looking for specific capture utilities. Sometimes it is the only wAy to know if the capture utility can do it.
    Michael
    Michael, please explain what you mean by NEW WINDOW. My browser is Chrome, with which I can open the page using "duplicate".

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If I wish to work with a particular Web page I use one of 2 methods. In Firefox I right-click in the page and choose Save page as... where the 3 dots signify another pane will open with choices. In Internet Explorer I go to File, Save as.... With both I give it a name and note where Downloads go on the HDD. Both methods have choices for type but IE gives a choice of .mht, Web page complete, saves in a single file. Either way I can do lots with the pages.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael37713 View Post
    If you use Firefox, there is an extension called, “Abduction”. Upon right clicking any web page, it allows you to select a scrolled section. You can then save the scrolled selection to either JPG or PNG. Michael
    I've loved Abduction....until I upgraded FF from 28 to 36.o.4, and it no longer works! You can do the selection but if you try to Save it, get this msg:
    "[Exception... "Not enough arguments [nsIWebBrowserPersist.saveURI]" nsresult: "0x80570001 (NS_ERROR_XPC_NOT_ENOUGH_ARGS)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://abduction/content/browser.js :: abduction/action_save :: line 847" data: no]" Others have had this problem too. You can Copy it to e.g. Paint and save it from there but not directly. I considered going back to FF28 but haven't--yet! If anyone knows a fix for this, please share!! It's a great little add-on. I then installed Nimbus Screenshot, it's ok but Abduction was better for my purposes.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Firefox or Chrome, the addon, "Screengrab!", can capture the entire page, including hidden portion. Optionally you can customed select area to be saved, or just the displayed portion.

If you dislike addons because they cluster or 'pollute' Firefox, thus taking a performance hit, do this while in Firefox:
    1. Control+F2, i.e. open Web developer toolbar, or
    Menu-Tools-Web Developer-Web Developer Toolbar
    2. At the bottom of Firefox, a gray bar opens.
    3. Type the following text in the black bar:
    screenshot --fullpage
    [Space before "--" is required. "--" is 2 minus signs]
    4. Entire page, including the invisible portion, is saved to system default Temp folder. Default file format is .png.
    Last edited by scaisson; 2015-08-21 at 01:10.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I’ve tried ‘em all and always come back to FastStone Capture v5.3, a feature rich little freeware tool that doesn’t even have to be installed – just stick its folder somewhere and make a shortcut to the exe. For all round access, I usually put the shortcut in my recreation of the ‘Quick Launch’ toolbar on the taskbar.

1) When you open FS Capture a little floating toolbar appears on screen (and it stays there until you close it).

2) Click the 3rd from left icon (for simple screen clips) and a pair of crosshairs appear.

3) Click and drag over the area to clip and then release the left click.

4) The clipped image appears in an image editor but, for speed, just right click for options to save, copy etc.
    Default save is .png but if you change it to .jpg then default becomes jpg until you change file format again.

The FSC toolbar can take a screen clip of anything that is on screen, not just in your browser. The toolbar has many other features, including a mini graphics editor for drawing arrows, text annotation etc. Very useful when your auntie says over the phone: 'I can't see it, which icon/setting do you mean'!

FastStone Capture v5.3 (last freeware version)
    http://www.oldapps.com/fast_stone_ca...re=17?download

If you’re feeling generous then you can reward the developer by going for the latest shareware v8.2, which even incorporates a screen video recorder.
    http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm

Have fun
    Remember rule #1: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Industrial electrical engineer, running a system building/repair business in Cornwall UK, for the last 15 years.

Built my first computer in 1978 - in the days when you had to hand-solder in all the components
    and 16k RAM was considered extravagant!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by polly10 View Post
    I've loved Abduction....until I upgraded FF from 28 to 36.o.4, and it no longer works! You can do the selection but if you try to Save it, get this msg:
    "[Exception... "Not enough arguments [nsIWebBrowserPersist.saveURI]" nsresult: "0x80570001 (NS_ERROR_XPC_NOT_ENOUGH_ARGS)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://abduction/content/browser.js :: abduction/action_save :: line 847" data: no]" Others have had this problem too. You can Copy it to e.g. Paint and save it from there but not directly. I considered going back to FF28 but haven't--yet! If anyone knows a fix for this, please share!! It's a great little add-on. I then installed Nimbus Screenshot, it's ok but Abduction was better for my purposes.
    I just tested the Abduction 3.5.0.1-Signed extension in Firefox 40.0.2 on Win7 and haven't seen a problem yet.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    7zuki
    Michael, please explain what you mean by NEW WINDOW. My browser is Chrome, with which I can open the page using "duplicate".
    I use Firefox, not Chrome. Firefox defaults opening pages into tabs. If you right click on any Firefox tab, you get the options shown in attachment. If you then click, “move to new window”, a second instance of Firefox opens with only the tab that you right clicked.
    NewWindow.jpg

I try to keep things as simple as possible. In that respect, I read gmail directly in Firefox without additional readers such as Thunderbird.
    The internet has no defined standard for scrolling windows. Each browser uses their own software techniques for implementing scrolling. Further each browser uses yet more of their own software to decide which of the tabs is being scrolled. Thus capturing a scrolled window is complicated depending on what browser you use.

It just happens that a window with single tab is easier to capture in Firefox.
    Asking gmail to display a print view window eliminates any tabs which simplifies the scrolling capture technique.
    Michael
    Last edited by Michael37713; 2015-08-21 at 12:09. Reason: modify attachment

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've loved Abduction....until I upgraded FF from 28 to 36.o.4, and it no longer works!
    I just tested the Abduction 3.5.0.1-Signed extension in Firefox 40.0.2 on Win7 and haven't seen a problem yet.
    I am a PortableApps fan. I try to portabilize anything I can. My Firefox is version 30.0 that has been mounted in the PertableApps directory. I had to rename it to keep PortableApps from automatically updating it. Actually I keep several portable versions of Firefox available this way. So, I avoid problems with extension updates not working with newer browser updates. It also makes it quite easy to check if the newer browser update is what caused the extension breaking problem.
    Michael

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've tried many tools for capturing scrolling screen shots and my favorite is PicPick. Free for home users. http://ngwin.com/picpick

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cloudsandskye For This Useful Post:

7zuki (2015-09-01)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast