New Lounger
    Thanks

Mysterious Win 10 Error Message

A few days after upgrading to Windows 10 from WIn 8.1 on a Dell Inspiron, I started getting the following error message:
    The operating system is not presently configured to run this application
    The message shows up repeatedly and is not obviously associated with any running program. Clicking OK makes it go away for a while.
    In Task Manager, the message is associated with an app labeled "COM Surrogate (32 bit)" which comes from dllhost.exe located in the directory C:\Windows\SysWOW64.
    I'm at a loss for how to fix this and would appreciate advice. I've trolled the Microsoft support sites and the error message turns up frequently, often but not exclusively with other Microsoft software like Office. There are a few hints that Microsoft is aware of this but the only solution has been to run system file checker. I've tried that and it seems to find something corrupted but I don't know how to decode the results in the log.
    The scan found "corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." None of the ones I found in the log "seem" to have anything to do with my problem. The log does show lots of duplicate ownership entries around the SYSWOW64 directory and other subdirectories in it, too.

Thanks
    I suggest you open an elevated command prompt and run (without the quotes) "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth"

It can take a while to finish; don't interrupt it.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I tried that. This was one of the suggestions I found on the Microsoft site. What I got back is pasted below. It seems to want the source image but couldn't find it. The source is apparently supposed to default to Windows Update. The link provided refers to Win 8.1 and doesn't mention Win 10 at all. The log repeatedly refers to providers not previously encountered.
    Not sure where to go next.
    -------------
    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.10240.16384
    Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384
    [==========================100.0%================== ========]
    Error: 0x800f081f
    The source files could not be found.
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

----
    I suggest you open an elevated command prompt and run (without the quotes) "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth"

It can take a while to finish; don't interrupt it.

Thanks
    I had a similar issue in Windows 8.1 that turned out to be an update that scrambled Windows Update. I'm on my phone now and can't grab a link, but it's in the Maintenance Forum, about DISM being broken. You might find something useful there.

I had to restore a drive image to get around it.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-08-18 at 12:40.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows