Thread: File Protection

Thanks

File Protection

I am looking for a program to protect "NON" shared files on my computer at work. I see how to protect those that are shared, but do not see anything that allows me to protect those that are not shared. Anone know of a good program. One that doesn't cost and arm and a leg...after all it is New Years and I would rathe spend money on Champagne....thanks
    John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks

Re: File Protection

Protect them from what?
    Deletion? Access?

Thanks

From access. I have some suspicion that someone has been snooping .....
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks

Windows 2000 or XP.

What kind of network?
    Can the network administrator help?

Thanks

thanks for your reply Leif.
    I am using WindowsME, and the rest of the computers on the network are W98. The network is a simple one. Only 4 computers, and no server. I am not concerned about the "shared "files, because I can control access to them. What I am concerned about, are the other "NON" shared files and folders on my computer. These are the ones that I want to password protect. I used to have a program that did that, by simply right clicking on either the folder or file and choosing "protect. But I can't seem to find one now. On computer start-up I am not using a password either.
    (PS) I am the "Sys.Admin." they were still using 1dial up line and were transferring files via floppy, and Office 95. Now we have a nice DSL, shared system, Office200, etc. etc.
    Thanks John

Thanks

My personal preference would be to dump ME and switch to W2K or XP as you would not only get what you want, but a better operating system.

But, there appear to be pleanty of products about:
    A selection here at Tucows and search on 'protect'.

Late thought:
    What happens if you create a share for your 'protected' area, but restrict access?

Thanks

Well, so far WindowsME has been great. Have looked atupgrading to XP, but the "hidden costs" (i.e) some new software etc. made me re-think that..... oh well... any way if I understand your question correctly here is what happens. When I create a "shared folder", and right click on it and choose properties, I have 3 options. these are "Read only", Full, and "Depends on Password". By checking "Depends on password, the person trying to acess the file has to know the password for either full access, or read only. When they click on the shared folder on their computer they are asked for the appropriate password. The only drawback to this, is this..once they are able to access the shared folder, they can keep accessing it as long as they have not re-booted their computer, or until I change the password. Assuming that I have not changed the password, once they re-boot their computer, they no longer have access to that file w/o the appropriate password.
    Have a great New Years and thanks for the links.
    John in Washington State.
    Thanks John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Is your complete drive shared or just a folder?

If it is just a folder, you can create a new folder on your local drive and NOT share it and NO one from another computer can get to it. But they could turn on you computer and not log in ( by hitting the "Esc" key or "Cancel" button) and have full access to you local hard drive.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.