Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Why didn't MS stop with Windows 7?

OK, I'm exposing myself to all sorts of potential vitriolic abuse here, but (sorry) I frankly DETEST Windows 10, after running thru the preview version for several months. And this has gotten even worse after the recent RTM. Reasons:

1. Why did MS keep any fragments of Win 8, since so many people hated it? OK, you can turn off (almost) all of the tiles, but why did they not make a single setting to do this?
    2. Why does it load all those junky apps w/o giving you a choice?
    3. When you click on most any function, you get this cutesy screen with a gear pix, etc., which is quite annoying. Why doesn't it just go straight to the function?
    4. Most of the commentary is juvenilic, cutesy or worse (i.e., something happened).
    5. It does not seem to be any quicker to load/shut down than Win 7. So where is any improvement?
    6. Worse, now it won't let you regulate updates (we all know how reliable MS is in that department, eh)?
    7. The crowning denouement is all of the privacy violations, smacking of the NSA snooping. And apparently it keeps phoning home regardless of what you do.

This travesty appears to be a feeble attempt by MS to compete in the mobile market, which they have likely already lost anyway.

But I know what I'm going to do : BOYCOTT IT. To quote an ex-girlfriend, I am going to hold onto Win 7 (and even XP) until they peel my cold dead fingers off them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rpetery05 View Post
    But I know what I'm going to do : BOYCOTT IT. To quote an ex-girlfriend, I am going to hold onto Win 7 (and even XP) until they peel my cold dead fingers off them.
    I don't like Chevrolet.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rpetery05 View Post
    5. It does not seem to be any quicker to load/shut down than Win 7.
    I'm dual booting 7 & 10, so same hardware but 7 has more start-up apps. W10 takes 40 secs to boot against 25 secs for W7. (measured by 360 Total Security).
    Go figure!

Alex

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Like it or not, people liked XP. So why didn't they make later versions look and feel like XP? Or at least give you the choice? I suspect that uptake would've been quicker, with fewer people going to Linux out of disgust with Microsoft.

After all, XP could be made to look like 9x, and 95 could be made to work like 3.x. Easily I mean, not with add-on software.

Still, that's marketing for you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I don't like Chevrolet.
    Chevrolet?

What has Chevrolet to do with Win10?

Maybe I missed something...
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Chevrolet?

What has Chevrolet to do with Win10?

Maybe I missed something...
    LOL, I believe that is a satirical response comparing 1 brand of car to the others out there as the OP is denouncing 1 flavor of windows to others.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a (computer) generation whose only experience has been with Windows 8, because when Windows 8 was released they yanked Windows 7, and for new Windows PC buyers it was eight or nothing. Now everything has to be backward compatible to accommodate those users.

I’m a Hupmobile man myself. It’s called ‘brand loyalty’.

Microsoft obviously learned lots of tricks to enhance performance that turned up in Windows 8, and giving us a high-performance version of Windows 7 would be the best of all systems for Windows 7 loyalists.

Thanks
    We wouldn't have any controversy if Microsoft had allowed the user to choose between the Windows 7 style interface and the tablet interface for Windows 8.x.

That said, Windows is their product, and it's a free country. They can do what they want with their own products.

And you're free to boycott Windows.

I'd be interested in knowing, six months from now, if you're still boycotting Windows.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    There are a number of reasons Microsoft did not stop with Windows 7.

1.) revenue from new versions
    2.) architectural design changes to make a smaller footprint OS that can work on almost any device
    3.) architectural changes made to enhance security
    4.) Get closer to one code base to simplify support
    5.) Get closer to one code base to reduce expenses
    6.) architectural changes made to support new hardware - sensors, cameras, fingerprint readers, etc.

Just to name a few.

Joe

Thanks
    So why are MS being criticised for changing things (whether for better or worse) but not Apple or Linux. Current Ubuntu is a very different beast to four or so year old ones - I had a U distro on a memory stick quite a long time ago and used it on an XP PC which had been hosed by a power cut (it was very clunky and slow before that, 15 minutes minimum after booting up before being able to do anything, YMMV). I then used a newer one a couple of years later and was completely lost - it was so different. No doubt I could have worked out where everything was, but my point is - they're all changing.

And people worry about Windows phoning home so will go to another OS. How does anyone know that the same thing won't happen to any other OS - or even that it's happening now? (This is isn't a rhetorical question BTW).

Just my two pennyworth

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    While MS have disowned XP, they are going to be stuck with Win 7 and Win 8.1 users either because don't want to or can't upgrade to Win 10.

I suppose the same applied to those who were unable to upgrade to Win 7 or Win 8/8.1, but how many Win 7 machines will survive to 2020 or Win 8.1 machines to 2023 without needing some hardware replacement that could make the repair not viable and probably forcing the purchase of a Win 10 machine.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Sudo,

I'm more worried if I'll make it to 2020/3! I don't buy ripe bananas any more either!
    ROTFLOL.gif
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

High Sierra (2015-08-23)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's always short-sighted to suggest "why didn't so-and-so stop with such-and-such". Time moves on. Conditions change. And vendors want to remain relevant and continue to have a business model.

- for years after Windows 95 was available, huge numbers of Windows 3.x remained running. Same goes for the Windows 98-XP transition, Windows XP-7, and so on. The reasons are a standard mix of inertia, lack of money or time, compatibility, or better comfort with the older stuff;
    - it's bad practice to extrapolate your needs and comfort level to others. Even when we know that Windows 7 was a huge hit and Windows 8 struggled for market share, it's still a bad practice. When I did user support I always marveled at how 2 people, sitting side by side and running the same software, even doing the same job, would have completely different impressions about how good the software was and how suitable to task;
    - Windows 8 had a whole bunch of good stuff in it. I know since I run it. I wouldn't want to support it in a business environment but for personal use it's been good for me;
    - Critics always forget how fiercely Microsoft was criticized for "not doing anything original", or "being stuck in the past". Well, Microsoft did something original and proved they weren't stuck in the past;
    - personally I think touch will be a permanent and important use case in computing. It will be with us forever now. The new horizon is interactive voice now;
    - Windows 10 is getting pretty good reviews. Are you sure you aren't the one stuck in the past?

If Microsoft's practices are getting to you, why not branch out? Macs are good, Linux is good. Try something new and get a new perspective. No matter how it turns out you benefit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    BHarder,

Very Well Stated!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Simple answer is MS didn't stop because they can't stop...that's what (among other things) they do. Personally I'm happy as a pig in slop with XP...I keep trying the more recent OSes but they just don't measure up in the ways that are important to me, so I just keep using XP, simple as that. The Great White shark has to keep swimming but I don't.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast