Thanks

Disk Management format warning "will convert to Dynamic"

The screenshot shows a warning that I got when I tried to expand the middle partition on disk 2 into the first partition so that I would only have 2 partitions instead of the 3. This I Drive (a 500gb HDD) used to be my C: drive but the shop removed it before I brought my laptop home as I wanted a 128gb SSD as my C: Drive. Anyway it had 5 partitions on it and I managed to work out how to delete them with Disk Part as I havn't done this before but this Dynamic Disk has me beat. I say that because there is so much to read about it but all I want to know is can I hit the yes button and still have a useable External HDD. I want to use it for Image backups on 1 partition and File History on the other or may be just general photo storage as the File History no longer see this I: drive but that problem is for another thread. Does changing it to Dynamic mean I can't reinstall the HDD as a main C: drive again.
    Thanks Petedisk formatt..png

Thanks
    Good luck with that Pete.

I would backup any wanted data off the HDD then wipe it then create a new MBR partition to use all available space then copy the files back.

No, you don't want it to be a "dynamic" disk if you only want to use it as a USB external HDD.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2015-08-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Good luck with that Pete.

I would backup any wanted data off the HDD then wipe it then create a new MBR partition to use all available space then copy the files back.

No, you don't want it to be a "dynamic" disk if you only want to use it as a USB external HDD.
    Ok, thanks and yes all the data has been backed up,so does a MBR partition just give me the one partition and can I do this in disk management or command prompt or should I download a app. I'm sure I can work all this out from Google but some advice would be a big help.
    Thanks Pete.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've pulled HDDs out of modern computers and put them in an external USB 'box' for copying data and UEFI, GPT didn't cause an issue. I've used Disk Management to delete partitions and create new, single or more. Main thing is that the drive is seen in Disk Management and gets a drive letter assigned. Windows Explorer/File Explorer can't work with such drives unless a drive letter is assigned after which they can be used for storage. The use of MBR, UEFI, GPT, etc., comes into play when wanting to install to and boot to the drive.

Thanks
    If you don't know what Dynamic disks are it is very likely you don't want them. What is it you wanted to do?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're trying to use the half-witted Diskpart utility to do this? Then no, that function is not within Diskpart's capabilities (without resorting to Microsoft's proprietary "dynamic disks"). There are plenty of decent third-party utilities that can do what you want (many mentioned often on this forum), but Diskpart is too limited to be one of them.

The limitation is Diskpart is incapable of moving the starting point of an existing partition--it can slide the back end, but never the front end. What you are attempting to do is slide the front end so your I: partition begins at the very front of the disk, at that's something Diskpart cannot do.

What Coochin is telling you is that if you want to use Diskpart you need to do it in two steps: delete the I: partition so the first two blocks in your disk map are a single block of unallocated space, then use Diskpart to create a new partition encompassing the now larger unallocated space.

Of course, you'll lose everything in the I: partition if you do that, hence his recommendation to first backup and later restore anything you want to keep.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2015-08-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    If you don't know what Dynamic disks are it is very likely you don't want them. What is it you wanted to do?
    I want use use the external HDD to store system Images on and also Windows file history and that is all. Before more advice came up I used Diskpart to delete and extend so now it sounds like I now have a Dynamic I: Drive but file history see's it now so it seems OK for what I want. Nothing on there yet so not to late to go 3rd party way to change it again or should I leave it alone now.
    Thanks Petenew I drive.png

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KIWIpeteW View Post
    ...I used Diskpart to delete and extend so now it sounds like I now have a Dynamic I: Drive but file history see's it now so it seems OK for what I want...
    According to your screenshot the "New Volume (I)" partition on Disk 3 is using all available space. Disk 3 is shown as "Basic", not "Dynamic".

Quote Originally Posted by KIWIpeteW View Post
    I want use use the external HDD to store system Images on and also Windows file history and that is all...
    The external HDD should handle that easily.

You might want to change the name from "New Volume" to something else so it is easier for you to identify it. In Disk Management right-click on the "New Volume (I)" partition then left-click on "Properties" then change the name in the field at the top on the "General" tab.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Because I use a few different drives I name them for the brand and size such as WDC2TB_1 with the 1 being drive 1 of that size when having 2 or more plugged in.

In the days of old, DOS, the naming was called Label, typing Label at the DOS prompt gave the opportunity to type a name, usually could be 11 or 13 characters. Same works in a Command Prompt window.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-08-19 at 23:11.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2015-08-20)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    According to your screenshot the "New Volume (I)" partition on Disk 3 is using all available space. Disk 3 is shown as "Basic", not "Dynamic".

The external HDD should handle that easily.

You might want to change the name from "New Volume" to something else so it is easier for you to identify it. In Disk Management right-click on the "New Volume (I)" partition then left-click on "Properties" then change the name in the field at the top on the "General" tab.
    Thanks Coochin,I couldn't tell if that was Basic or Dynamic, and yeah the rename tip is good as just yesterday I pulled the wrong flash drive which caused a problem because I was transferring photos. I'm happy with that result,time for a new image with Macrium Free.