Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need OEM Win 7 iso?

I have an old XPS 9000 in which I added an SSD as the boot disk.
    I used Paragon Migrate OS to SSD last December to copy the hd to ssd.
    2 weeks ago i received a boot failure with the message "BOOTMGR is missing'. Evidently the only way to fix this is to re-install/repair the Win 7 install with an install disk. Of course I don't have one as Dell doesn't hand them out.
    Trying to d/l the ISO from MS gives me an error as its an OEM version.
    I'm able to boot off the old hard drive but it tells me it's not an official Windows version. Since all the programs were on the SSD i don't have access to many of them, including my backup program.

Any help?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried a boot menu start (possibly F2 or F12 or ...) to make sure you are trying to boot from the SSD? Sometimes the BIOS will go funky and switch to a non-booting disk and produce that message.

Otherwise it sounds like a Win 7 startup repair disc is all you need to get it going again. Will the old OS let you get into it for any amount of time to create one? If so, the steps to do so are here.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you need to reinstall, you just need to beg, steal or borrow a Windows 7 disk (I'd make a copy of it). Just make sure it's the right flavour and use the licence number you already have.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    And it doesn't have to be an OEM version, it can be a retail or upgrade version as well. Any can perform a in place nondestructive repair install (assuming the SSD pr SATA controller has not failed). Just needs to be 64bit Home or whatever your license is for. But an OEM from a major PC maker like Dell will not work (system vendor license).

You could also boot up and try testdisk such as found on the system rescue CD to see if it can repair your boot sector which is what sounds like it failed.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I've been through the whole F2, F12 stuff. That's how I got into the machine - by booting into the old drive. At that point the PC says I'm not using a genuine version of Win7 and I couldn't see the SSD. I gad to go into dskmgmt to re-assign a drive letter so I could then see the SSD.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    A begged, borrowed or stolen disk - which would need to include SP1 as well for a repair install, would activate for a while with the vendor's key but would still be classed as a not genuine install, but you could boot up with it to navigate to the Recovery Environment to execute the Bootrec commands.

Are you able to get in by tapping F8 as you switch on to navigate to the Recovery Environment to either use the Restore or Startup Repair options ?

There is another option to repair the Boot Manager and that is with a Paragon Rescue Disk.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-08-23 at 18:18.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    A begged, borrowed or stolen disk - which would need to include SP1 as well for a repair install, would activate for a while with the vendor's key but would still be classed as a not genuine install, ....
    Completely untrue. A vendor's key (as displayed by such apps as Belarc Advisor or Magic Jelly Bean) will not work, you would only have at best the activation grace period the MS provides (30-day?).

The product key that must be on the Dell XPS 9000 case Certificate of Authenticity seal that came with the OEM disk [assuming Win7 is the original OS] WILL work as a genuine install. That is what it was there for.

I am not sure why the OP's original HDD is not working.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-08-24 at 10:15.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Unfortunately MS now only provides updates for people with retail or upgrade versions of Win7, not OEM versions. Nice to see though that this link now actually works. The OP's product key (either one) will not allow them to download the much needed ISO. Thank you MS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dmspen View Post
    .... Since all the programs were on the SSD i don't have access to many of them, including my backup program.
    Presumably your backup program includes a bootable app that should allow you access to the backup file and the ability to apply it. Otherwise it wouldn't be a very good backup in case of boot drive failure.

also: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/media
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-08-24 at 10:24.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    Completely untrue. A vendor's key (as displayed by such apps as Belarc Advisor or Magic Jelly Bean) will not work, you would only have at best the activation grace period the MS provides (30-day?).

The product key that must be on the Dell XPS 9000 case Certificate of Authenticity seal that came with the OEM disk [assuming Win7 is the original OS] WILL work as a genuine install. That is what it was there for.

I am not sure why the OP's original HDD is not working.
    Why don't you read what I wrote - I wrote "would activate for a while" and I'm talking about a SP1 ISO.

I'm speaking from experience - not theorising.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-08-24 at 10:51.