Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Computer stops, Process explorer keeps running

My computer (W 7 Pro 64) stops but not completely. I lose the ability to open or close windows. Some windows will accept keystrokes but most not. A refresh of the weather bureau radar loop (flash plug-in) can take more than 5 minutes when it's a second or two normally.

CryptoPrevent is installed but set to None.

This either occurs in the early evening or after 8+ hours of use, I'm not sure. The capture clears partially but then resumes and I have to reset.

I keep Russinovich's Process Explorer open as well as the processor graph. The computer is STOPPED but PE goes perking along showing about 20% CPU use. The graphs continue to scroll even though nothing else is moving. Whatever has seized the computer is ignored by PE and I don't know how this happens.

Does anybody have any suggestions about other process managers that might elucidate what's going on? I've found MiTeC task manager delux, AnVir task manager free and pay,Process Lasso, Process hacker, etc. but have no idea whether or not any of them will work with my problem.

Windows 10 is in the far future, maybe next spring depending on what trouble other people have. I have thought of re-installing W 7 to a spare SSD, going back to the protocols of other versions when re-installation was a twice-a-year affair.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried disabling or uninstalling VIPRE?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have not. Vipre runs a scan M-W-F at 1700 that uses resources but is otherwise well behaved. CPU usage during a scan, according to PE, is between 40 to 60%.

The central issue for me is the behavior of Process Explorer. I'm a geologist and don't understand the nuances but somewhere in the data stream, PE is sensing what the CPU is doing and presenting that as both a table and a graph. I use PE to kill processes that hog or overload the CPU.

But whatever is stopping my machine is not showing up as a process in PE. I had the thought this morning that it might be in the video card but I'm a geologist, what do I know?

My query about youse guys' experience with other process managers was really a question about where those other managers get their information about the CPU and whether or not they would also show nothing amiss when the machine was frozen.

With nothing better to do, I'll kill Vipre for the day and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you checked Task Scheduler ?

Does the 8+ hours of use normally take it into the early evening so that the non responsiveness would coincide with the timing ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Sudo, I did that last week. Interesting to see how much crap there was from last year. I deleted a bunch of junk and suspended some more.

Also, I noticed "IAstordatamgrsvc.exe" in the list of running processes. When I searched, I found an ad from "WindowsTechies" that advised against fixing this problem, let their wonder fixer do it - for a bunch of money. I've found this bunch of thieves while searching other program names.

"IAstor..." got deleted on Monday and I thought the problem was solved but it wasn't. Do YOU know why PE fails to find my hog?
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    Dan, what HDD/SSDs do you have installed?

<iaStor/Intel Rapid Storage Technology is really only needed if there is a RAID or SSD-caching drive present, for normal jbod use, it adds layers of complexity. Note that if you've actually deleted files from it but you decide that you don't really need it, correctly uninstalling it via Add/Remove Programs might be very tricky and could leave some remnants still active >

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't know that RPE program and if the machine is frozen then it would be difficult to check Task Manager - Applications or Processes to what is the hog.

I occasionally use Windows Sysinternals Process Explorer https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/.../bb896653.aspx

These may still not be default enabled, but click on Options and ensure Verify Signature is checked then hover over VirusTotal.com and check its box.

This program is dynamic as well and with the latter checked, will produce a column mainly in blue, but any with a highish value/50 something in red will be suspect, but if it's a legit program phoning home or whatever then it may not be snagged as such but its CPU value may give a clue as to what it is.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Have you tried disabling or uninstalling VIPRE?
    Is it something I missed or am unaware of, but what made you ask about VIPRE ?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Is it something I missed or am unaware of, but what made you ask about VIPRE ?
    I suggested it last time, but it seemed to have been largely overlooked:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Ironically, it's probably Vipre's root kit detection during a scheduled scan which causes your 100% CPU usage:

Quick Fix: SBAMsvc.exe causing 100% CPU utilization

And Vipre has caused similar problems for WS Lounge members in the past:

alert: 100 percent CPU with VIPRE for some
    I have experienced long lockups with "Managed Antivirus", which I believe is closely related to VIPRE, when it downloaded/installed new AV definitions after a period offline.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Going backward:

Bruce: Process Explorer (PE) sees and displays DBAMsvc when a scan is being run. Thinking on your suggestion, I'll get a list of what's running next time I encounter this.

Sudo: What I abbreviate as "PE" is Sysinternals Process explorer. When the computer is unresponsive (some clicked windows even say that), the PE main window (sorted by cpu usage) and System information graph, continue to change every second falsely informing me that I have 80% system idle. I checked Verify Signature but cannot find VirusTotal. I'm running version 4.11 because I cannot run the latest versions because of a "writeable folder" problem.

Satrow: I have as C:\, a 250 Gb SSD for Win 7 Pro 64 and program data including IMatch5 and Lightroom databases. A pair of 3T Hitachi spinning drives are mirrored for data and there's another one T and three T older drives that I am moving stuff away from gradually.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecherub View Post
    A pair of 3T Hitachi spinning drives are mirrored for data...
    So you do need IRST/iaStor - check that you have the latest version and learn how to set it up and use it, rather than just removing parts of it?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ensure Verify Signature is checked
    That may be the key. 8 hours after boot, the entire cpu was seized by "DynamicLinkMediaServer" that showed up on the System Information graph. I am researching this now, still not sure whether it is a Windows program or from Adobe, part of Lightroom. LR was running when this happen tonite but not when the machine crashed yesterday.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Has Event Viewer recorded these freezes with related errors ?

Thanks
    I have often suspected (with out any real evidence) that AV programs can have deep enough roots in the OS that programs like TaskManager and PE don't know what is going on. I get 'freezes' on my old box with lots of 'idle time' reported.
    If I really wanted to trouble shoot I would remove my AV suite (Comodo).
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Has Event Viewer recorded these freezes with related errors ?
    Event viewer - there's another thing I don't know how to use. I looked at it when I read your message and saw a hole in my day at least an hour deep, maybe deeper. I have no clue what to look for.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast