New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 upgrade message blocking normal Win 7 and Office 2010 monthly updates

I run a reasonably recent HP Pro desktop system for my small home-based accounting practice, with Win 7 Professional, Office 2010, and the Xero online accounting package.

In late July I had second, sensible thoughts about registering for the free Win 10 download. With some local techie help I de-registered and got rid of the Win 10 offer icon on my Taskbar. However, since July 29th I no longer get the usual Updates Available icon appearing on my Taskbar, and my ESET NOD32 Anti-virus keeps warning me that my system isn't up to date.

Sure enough, when I go to Windows Update through the Control Panel, there are 30 Important and Optional updates ready to download and install. But when I tick them all and click OK [to download], I am just switched to an Upgrade to Windows 10 screen, and the downloads do not proceed. I've tried several times, and the same thing happens every time.

Can anyone suggest how I get out of this frustrating bind? And No, I have absolutely no intention of downloading Win 10, not any time soon!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you actually had a look at each update - one will be for the Win 10 upgrade which you can leave unchecked or right click on it and select Hide.

Also go to Installed Updates and enter KB3035583 into the top right search box and if it comes up, right click on it and select Uninstall then do the same for KB2952664.

They will be re-offered again after uninstalling but then you can right click on them and select Hide.

There is also another Telemetry update that has come for some as Optional in the recent out of cycle patches and that is KB3075249 which if you haven't already installed, you can also hide that one.

KB3080149 if you get that one as well in the out of cycle patches, I didn't like its description so I hid that one as well.

Any updates that you aren't sure about, click on them and then on More info in the right pane.

From what you say, I take it you don't have the update settings to auto install ?

Come to think about it, I no longer get the bubble notification when there are WUs but what the.... they are easily checked for.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinakarori View Post
    I run a reasonably recent HP Pro desktop system for my small home-based accounting practice, with Win 7 Professional, Office 2010, and the Xero online accounting package.

In late July I had second, sensible thoughts about registering for the free Win 10 download. With some local techie help I de-registered and got rid of the Win 10 offer icon on my Taskbar. However, since July 29th I no longer get the usual Updates Available icon appearing on my Taskbar, and my ESET NOD32 Anti-virus keeps warning me that my system isn't up to date.

Sure enough, when I go to Windows Update through the Control Panel, there are 30 Important and Optional updates ready to download and install. But when I tick them all and click OK [to download], I am just switched to an Upgrade to Windows 10 screen, and the downloads do not proceed. I've tried several times, and the same thing happens every time.

Can anyone suggest how I get out of this frustrating bind? And No, I have absolutely no intention of downloading Win 10, not any time soon!
    It's strange that I can't see the comment I wrote earlier. Maybe I'm just too new to this site and don't quite understand how it works yet. So, I'll try again:

I found your question so interesting, Tinakarori, that I did a bit of reading. Might there be some helpful information for you on the following page (including the comments)?
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/s...de-reservation