2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is Windows 7 upgrading without my consent?

Is Windows 7 trying to upgrade to Windows 10 without me reserving the upgrade?

I ask this because a mysterious fonder just turned up on C:/ drive called

$Windows.~BT question.

It has a lot folders inside and a lot of files. One of which is

windows10.0-kb3081436-x64.cab

I looked this file up on google and it is an accumulative update fro Windows 10. How can this be if I am still on Windows 7, and have not reserved the upgrade to Windows 10 and do not intend to upgrade?

Any thoughts what is happening and what I should do?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you have allowed Windows auto to install all of the updates then it's probably gone into auto mode.

Go to Windows Updates/Change update settings and use the dropdown to change to Check for but let me choose...

Go to Installed Updates, enter KB3035583 into the top right search box and when it comes up, right click on it and select Uninstall then do the same for KB2952664.

There was another Telemetry update bundled as an Optional one with the recent out of cycle updates.

That one is KB3075249 which you can also uninstall and you may also have KB3022345 which you can also uninstall.

I'm not quite sure about one other Optional update that came bundled with the out of cycle updates and that is KB3080149.

I hid that one because I didn't like the sound of its description.

Any updates that you have uninstalled, possibly with the exception of KB3022345 will be re-offered which you can then hide by right clicking on them and selecting that option.

You can also hide any Win 10 updates.

When your done, go Start - type disk cleanup - right click on Disk Cleanup and select Run as administrator.

This will collate any obsolete updates which can then be deleted.

If this is sizable then follow that with a defrag if you are using a HDD.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-08-20 at 07:56.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

cornfield (2015-08-20)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Sudo 15. I have followed your instructions and all those updates are now uninstalled. A disk cleanup removed 3GB of stuff, including Windows Update cleanup. I then was able to delete the $Windows.~BT folder with administrator permission.

I have set updates to 'Let me choose' and will hide the ones uninstalled if they come back, and prevent any Windows 10 ones being installed.

I will put a note on the Windows 7 thread that you solved this problem here on the Windows 10 forum.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I was working on a Win8 Notebook and updated it to Win8.1 Tuesday. I left it to do updates yesterday while I was out of town and to my surprise it had also downloaded the Win10 Upgrade. I decided it may as well have finished the Upgrade as it would have to be done at some point anyway. Now I will get the install.esd file and create the DVD for the client.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cornfield View Post
    Thank you Sudo 15. I have followed your instructions and all those updates are now uninstalled. A disk cleanup removed 3GB of stuff, including Windows Update cleanup. I then was able to delete the $Windows.~BT folder with administrator permission.

I have set updates to 'Let me choose' and will hide the ones uninstalled if they come back, and prevent any Windows 10 ones being installed.

I will put a note on the Windows 7 thread that you solved this problem here on the Windows 10 forum.
    You shouldn't be bothered with any more Win 10 updates after KB3035583 has been uninstalled.

I didn't get as far as that $Windows.~BT folder as I did all of that after having a foray into Win 10 and reverting back to in 7.

Did get an e-mail from MS today though regarding using Win 10, but that is probably because while in Win 10 I created a MS account.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-08-20 at 11:35.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems extraordinary that Microsoft begins the upgrade process without your permission if you do not take control of updates.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's supposed to ask you if you want the upgrade there and then or to name how many days, but I've just been reading another thread on here where another member came back to find Win 10 already downloaded and installed - it wasn't a problem as the member was going to upgrade anyway.

Perhaps more recent updates are taking the choice away from users, but neither of us will be bothered by any unplanned upgrades