Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pre-installed programs on Dell Inspiron laptop

I usually order a laptop with no pre-installed programs. Recently circumstances forced me to pick up a Sell Inspiron 15 series with numerous programs pre-installed. I was appalled to see 10 programs! If past is an indicator, if I uninstall some or all of these, the system will be much more responsive. If anyone has information about whether some or all of these can/should be uninstalled please advise. The programs are:
    Sell Backup & Recovery, Dell Customer Connect, Dell Digital Delivery, Dell Learning Center, Dell Power Manager Lite, Dell System Protect, Dell Unifying Software, Dell Update, Register My Devices, Support Assist.
    This is a 64 bit Win 8.1 system.
    Don
    Windows 10 64bit, Intel Core i5-490K 3.5GHz, Intel HD Graphics, 8GBRAM, 350GB SSD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Don,

I've been using Dell for ages and all this stuff can be trashed. That said however, some of it should be kept for at least 3-6 months in case you have a problem Dell will use it to help you get it fixed. What you can do to speed up your machine is to use a program like Sysinternals AutoRuns and make sure none of it is auto starting. If it isn't started at boot it isn't slowing your machine down. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I also use Dell, usually refurbished w/Win7 [by me] but got a new Inspiron 15R w/Win8.1 just over a year ago. As with other brands, one can indeed clean them up but using the factory restore partition or discs will put everything back on, puts it back to it as-shipped condition.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    If you have a Microsoft store near you check into systems there. They are clean and competitively priced. Microsoft sets up the systems without the OEM crapware. They do make sure you have all the Microsoft programs (some might refer to them as crapware too) such as Skype, Office trial, etc. Those are easy to uninstall if you wish.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ask Dell to send you a recovery USB stick to reinstall the OS. Or if you know your MSFT Key then download an ISO of your OS from Microsoft and install a fresh copy. Dell sent my a USB with 8.1 and it was a plain vanilla version without the Dell programs or McCrapafee included. I since upgraded it to Win 10. BTw, if you don't know your Key, Speccy shows it.

Thanks
    Before you uninstall any Dell programs, make sure that you make the recovery DVDs. You might inadvertently delete the program which allows you to make these DVDs, and they don't give you the DVDs with computers these days.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why assume all those Dell pre-installed programs are crapware? Why assume they will slow down your computer's responsiveness? We've had several Dell PCs in the past which all came with a variety of programs. None of the actual Dell progs ever slowed the system down.
    Back in the Pentium 4 days when single-core processors were the norm we bought a new Dell Dimension 4550 with Windows XP, a P4 2.53GHz cpu and 80GB hard drive. The only thing we changed from the default model was to order it with 1GB of RAM instead of 512MB. At the time i was really into tweaking to boost performance. After running several benchmarks and timing Windows bootup and launch time of several programs such as Office, the current version of Photoshop, a Serif video editor and a couple of favorite games i then checked to see how long it took to save a large spreadsheet, apply changes to a batch of photos, save & transcode a sizeable, edited home video and load a graphics-heavy game level. There were 65 processes running in the background after booting up. All those results were saved.
    Next, all the Dell pre-installed progs were uninstalled along with other pre-installed stuff like Wild Tangent game bundle, RealPlayer and a couple more i can't remember now. The hard drive was defragmented, too. The number of processes after bootup was reduced to 43. Bootup time was approximately 7 seconds faster. There was no discernible difference in loading time (one second, give or take), launch time or processing / rendering time of the same programs and tasks mentioned before.
    Several points arise from this. Office was pre-loading for fast access after bootup in both tests. Otherwise, Office would take several seconds longer to launch if it was changed to not pre-loaded. Also, the extra RAM undoubtedly helped keep differences to a minimum. And, clearly, Dell knew what they were doing with their own pre-loaded programs in terms of maintaining good performance. The real bottleneck within the system in those days was the relatively slow speed of the hard drive compared to the speed of the RAM and cpu.
    There was one significant slowdown to the entire system that was encountered. It was when we activated the Norton anti-virus. After activating the free 90-day trial of Norton the PC frequently felt sluggish and continued to do so until we removed it in favor of AVG anti-virus.
    More recently, my GF was using a program named Soluto to delay loading of some programs when Windows boots up so she wouldn't have to wait so long before her PC was ready to use. Delayed programs would be launched a little later, one by one with a few seconds in between. This actually worked OK for a couple off years on her home built Core2Duo / 4GB RAM / 320GB 7200rpm hard drive machine. Then i installed a 96GB Kingston SSD, and we discovered that delaying those programs at startup was no longer necessary. Bootup and nearly all tasks were significantly faster than before.
    A similar improvement occurred last year with a new Lenovo laptop when i replaced the 1TB HDD with an SSD. Before the SSD i was definitely waiting an extra 15 or 20 seconds for a number of Lenovo apps to load at startup. However, i actually use and appreciate four of those Lenovo apps (the others are for submitting trouble reports to Lenovo support (not yet needed!) and Lenovo online store, etc.) So, maybe a couple of crapware apps but also some useful stuff. If something actually interferes with the smooth running of your computer then by all means dump it! Otherwise, just make sure you have plenty of RAM and a fast boot drive and you'll be OK.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonH. View Post
    .... whether some or all of these can/should be uninstalled please advise. The programs are:
    Sell Backup & Recovery, Dell Customer Connect, Dell Digital Delivery, Dell Learning Center, Dell Power Manager Lite, Dell System Protect, Dell Unifying Software, Dell Update, Register My Devices, Support Assist.
    This is a 64 bit Win 8.1 system.
    Go into your startup folder and disable all of them. You can nuke them all later when laptop prove stable if you wish.

Be sure to check back after a reboot to see if any turn themselves back on ;-) If they do you can usually go into the app and uncheck a option that checks to make sure it loads on startup.

You can always turn them back on (enable) if needed. And if you do not have enough access to do that them all of the support apps (likely only one) working wouldn't help you anyway.

The only apps I ever cared for was the Dell Diagnostic app, and any lite DVD burner app (Nero, Roxio or CyberPower) they included (they don't do that anymore since Windows burns DVDs.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-08-27 at 17:27.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can also disable many startup programs using CCleaner, as well as uninstalling what you don't need. I don't uninstall the Dell programs, but I disable at startup if I don't need them. Things like bluetooth, or onedrive. If you don't use them they don't need to preload.