New Lounger
    Thanks

Compatibility of Applications with Windows10?

Hi,
    I have my own boutique-sized consulting firm (just a handful of us) and need to stay productive so am trying to decide about my timing for upgrading to Windows 10. We have upgraded a SurfacePro already so have a sense of what is involved but I have a main desktop computer that I use for most heavy lifting on my business. I'm starting to check individually with vendors of the tools I used and want to reach out to this community as well since come of you may have already tested these applications on Windows 10. I

'm mainly concerned about some business critical applications so any experience on whether the following are compatible of it there are additional steps needed would be helpful:
    • QuickBooks 2013 and 2015 (We can upgrade the second computer that uses 2013 before the Win10 upgrade if needed since we have it as a subscription)
    • Adobe Creative Cloud 2015
    • Adobe Fireworks CS6
    • Camtasia Studio
    • MD Scan
    • Office 365 Online with Dynamics CRM - I am verifying with the O365 support if there are any features that are an issue and testing it with another Surface Pro first so will update here what I learn but I am interested in actual users experience.
    • RoboForm
    • Stamps.com desktop application

Non mission/business critical apps (but used regularly):
    • Desktop version of Sticky notes? While it is not mission critical, Do I will need to copy/move a number of notes before upgrade?
    • CyberPower Power Panel (personal edition - management software for my back-up power supply that still has good life yet so I prefer not to replace it).
    • NAS storage management software: Synology Assistant (Synology DSM 3.0)
    • Genesys Meeting (used by a client and I use the full tool to host meetings for them on a major project)
    • WebEx Player - for old recordings when I used WebEx. Some are occasionally useful. I can convert them I believe to another form if needed.
    • Go To Meeting - less important but still used with some clients.
    • HP AiO Remote (Printer management software for a higher end HP multifunction printer, esp. for HP OfficeJet Pro X576dw MFP)
    • Rosetta Stone

Thanks much in Advance!

Tricia
    Last edited by tsutton; 2015-08-20 at 09:19.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You don't say what OS is currently on the desktop. If it's Win7 then why not just leave it that way? It's a stable release and should serve you for the life of that computer.

Thanks
    Desktop version of Sticky notes? While it is not mission critical, Do I will need to copy/move a number of notes before upgrade?
    On my HP ProBook 450 G2 laptop, I upgraded to Win 10 Pro from Win 7 Pro and all the sticky notes that were on my desktop were intact after the update. Not sure if everyone's experience was the same.

HP OfficeJet Pro X576dw MFP
    I have an HP Officejet Pro 8100 and I could print with basic functions but I had to reinstall ( a window came up to ask me ) for full functionality. Win 10 used the software already on the computer for the reinstallation.
    HTH

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Tsutton,

I can vouch for RoboForm working just fine on W10. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Currently I am on Windows 8.1 for my main device. We have another person who is still on Win 7 for his desktop computer and Win 8.1 for laptop.

Having consistent set-up across our devices helps unless we have specific reasons we need to stay on an older system, like compatibility of the tools we use. We also will at some point before next July upgrade them, it is just a matter of timing for us. We also are using it on one Surface Pro and will test out some things there first but we do not use the heavier software like QuickBooks or many of the Adobe Creative Suite on the tablets.

One more thing on the Win7 pc... It needs a major clean-up and refresh for performance so we figured we would just do that as we upgraded rather than twice in the same year.
    Last edited by tsutton; 2015-08-20 at 11:27.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Lumpy95 & RetiredGeek - Great - Thanks for your input on RoboForm, Sticky Notes, & HP Printer tools!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    FWIW, I'm using Office 2013 Pro Plus from an Office 365 subscription and quite a bit of Office 365 online on a Surface Pro 3. I've been running various Win10 builds since last October. All is well. See if Microsoft readies Fall Dynamics CRM, Windows 10 compatibility updates answers some questions.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What's MD Scan? (Only one I can find is a smartphone app.)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Note that neither RoboForm nor any other password add-ion will work with Edge right now. Currently Edge does not support add-ins although Microsoft has said support will be added.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe is correct (as usual) but IE 11 is still provided and you can make that your default browser as well as Firefox or Chrome if that is your preference.

You can also use the Windows Compatibility Center to see what it says about your programs:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...patCenter/Home

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    tsutton,

Just this morning I was at a brand new customer's; a heavy desktop publisher and genealogy user.

His upgrade went straight south. No support for his three monitors, only one works in Wn10.

Most of his heavy duty software does NOT work (sorry, I have no names yet).

I recommended to revert to Windows 7 and started the process; have not heard from him since and thus assume that that at least went well.

If you have customer confidentiality requirements I recommend you think twice and do a lot of reading before you jump into the ice bucket. IMHO there is NO CONFIDENTIALITY in Windows 10, it seems to be the anathema to confidentiality.
    Last edited by JoeP517; 2015-08-20 at 23:48. Reason: remove self-linking
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin