Star Lounger
    Thanks

"Regular" view vs. "Preview"?

I had two Hotmail accounts that have now been moved to Outlook. At the head of the list of received messages one says "Outlook.com." This one has a readable font, the little boxes to be checked are visible, and as I read a message I am offered arrows to read the message above or below. All of these were Hotmail features that I liked.

On the other one at the top of the message list it says "Outlook.com (Preview). None of the features I mentioned above are present.

I used the Help, but can't figure out how to make the second account look like the first.

I would appreciate help from y'all!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Are you using the Outlook desktop program or the Outlook.com website?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using a desktop computer. I had two Hotmail accounts. Microsoft migrated them both to Outlook. I sign in via the web.

Other than the above, how would I find the information to answer your question?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Do you login to both accounts on the same URL, that is, do you go to Outlook.com for both and then enter the details for the account you want?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    You're using Outlook.com not the Outlook desktop program. I suggest a screenshot would be helpful here - blanking out any private details.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank all of you for staying with me.

Here is a screenshot of the way one account looks, and how I would like both accounts to look:

Capture.JPG

Here is a screenshot of the one I do not prefer. Fortunately the fonts on this one have been revised in the last few days to match the account I prefer, but the check boxes do not show up...:

Capture2.JPG

...until I hover over where I know the boxes are. Then each box can be seen and selected if you hover over it.:

Capture3.JPG

Another difference between the two versions is that with the first I showed above, the one I prefer, I can scroll to the bottom of the new messages and begin to click the ones I want to delete (moving up from oldest to newest), and when I get to the top of the screen the screen will scroll so I can continue up the list and keep selecting until I get to the top of the list. This scrolling does not happen on the version shown in my second and third images.

Thanks again for your help!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Can you please answer the question in my previous reply?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Do you login to both accounts on the same URL, that is, do you go to Outlook.com for both and then enter the details for the account you want?

I log in via hotmail.com. I do use this address for both accounts. When I type Hotmail.com I am taken to a page with an address that begins https://login.live.com/login.srf. I then type in my hotmail address and password and am taken to a screen that looks like one or the other of the images shown in a later email.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried to use outlook.com as the URL, for both accounts? Maybe that will help. Just use outlook.com and insert your account details, as you do now on hotmail.com.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I get the same result whether I use hotmail.com or outlook.com to log in.

Is anyone else getting the (preview) version with the black header?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Microsoft periodically rolls out test versions of UI changes to various users to get a reaction. The "preview" version may become the production, real version in the near future if the reaction is positive. If there is a negative reaction some changes maybe made or the whole thing discarded. I do know that the "preview" page is the actual production version in Office 365 Outlook Web Access. So, I suspect that will become your production version.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Well, it seems Microsoft has not migrated all accounts to the new version. Some are not even in preview mode, as it happens with your first account (with the blue header). Somehow Microsoft upgraded your account to the preview of the new Outlook.com interface. As far as I could gather from a quick searching, only a select few members have access to the preview, but that's where everyone seem to be headed in a near future.

I don't know whether you can go back from the preview to the non preview version. If that is possible at all, Microsoft may have given you instructions on how to do it. However, eventually all accounts will be moved to the new UI, so the latter one will become the standard one.

P.S.: Seems Joe beat me to it while I did some searching. His post confirms my idea.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Judy M (2015-08-24)

Administrator
    Thanks
    I just saw two threads in the Microsoft answers community in which a different Microsoft MVP said that he/she did not think you could revert once your UI was changed.

Joe

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Judy M (2015-08-24)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you to both of you. I'm sorry to hear that the version that seems to me to be more crippled is destined to be the chosen one, but at least I know there is nothing I can do to "fix" it.