Thread: win 7 pack 1

New Lounger
    Thanks

win 7 pack 1

I am running win7 on a mac inside parallels, the win7 edition is a purchased update from my old XP. I have tried many times to instal the service pack 1 without success. I have googled solutions, tried them to no avail. Will i still be able to update to win 10 under these conditions, and how can I do that?
    Thanks
    Robin

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    No, you won't be able to upgrade to Win 10 without SP1.

Did any of the Google solutions include any from Microsoft and what is the error code you are getting ?

Sometimes trying an update in a clean boot has been known to work or it could be because of your anti virus program that is causing the block.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    No, you won't be able to upgrade to Win 10 without SP1.

Did any of the Google solutions include any from Microsoft and what is the error code you are getting ?

Sometimes trying an update in a clean boot has been known to work or it could be because of your anti virus program that is causing the block.
    turned off anti virus, downloaded kb 976632 and ran that , it appeared to be installing then finished with the message system error prevented instal. win uptake instal gave me error code80080100

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I went to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=5842 and downloaded the 2 files I needed, one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit. I didn't think I'd need the symbols files yet. I put the 2 files on a DVD and carry as part of my 'tools' for offline installing.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is that error code supposed to be 800B010 ?

These commands run from an elevated cmd prompt can be a general fix for Windows Update problems if there's corruption in the SoftwareDistribution or catroot2 folders -

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

You can copy & paste these directly to the cmd prompt and they will auto run then enter exit to close the cmd window.

The SoftwareDistribution cmd will remove your update history, but that isn't anything to worry about as any installed updates will remain intact.

This is a direct download for SP1 - use the vertical slider to scroll down to the bottom and select either the x64.exe for a 64 bit system or the x86.exe for a 32 bit system.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down...s.aspx?id=5842