5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Schedule OneDrive Sync on Win10

This may not be possible but... Is there a way to tell OneDrive to only sync once an hour or any kind of schedule instead of constantly watching for changes?

As an experiment, I moved my Thunderbird profile to OneDrive to allow two computers to have access to the same email history. It works OK but I do a fair number of emails sometimes and it just keeps OneDrive going. It really only needs updating once an hour or perhaps a couple times a day.

I've considered just keeping a copy on OneDrive that gets updated periodically, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    You can change the settings for OneDrive to have the application not start when Windows starts. Then start it manually when you want to sync - path for the program is C:\users\user-name\appdata\local\microsoft\onedrive\onedrive.exe . Exit the app when syncing is finished.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

gsmith-plm (2015-08-21)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    You can change the settings for OneDrive to have the application not start when Windows starts. Then start it manually when you want to sync - path for the program is C:\users\user-name\appdata\local\microsoft\onedrive\onedrive.exe .
    I was under the impression, perhaps wrongly, that OneDrive is a process that runs in the background. That it is independent of the application UI. But after trying it, that would seem to be a mistake, so THANKS.

Now, I need to see if I can find a way to schedule it to run at a certain time then shut down when it's finished. I could just give it X minutes then kill the process, but that's rather inelegant.