Thanks

Upgrade of old Win7 HP laptop to Win10 Home

Yesterday I upgraded my old Toshiba Satellite P300 laptop from Win7 Home Premium 64bit to Win10 Home 64bit.

The upgrade was done by launching setup from an installation DVD created w/ the "Media Creation Tool" http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=616936

The upgrade succeeded (but took about two hours). Device Manager doesn't show any problem devices, and the programs I had installed in Win7 all appear to be working as expected.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Win10 Start Menu Vs ClassicShell Start Menu

Today I installed the latest version (v4.2.4 http://www.classicshell.net/ ) of ClassicShell.

W10_Menu1.jpg

Above is a screenshot of the default Win10 Start Menu after clicking the "Start" button.

W10_Menu2.jpg

Above is a screenshot of the default Win10 Start Menu after clicking "All Apps".

CS_Menu1.jpg

Above is a screenshot of the ClassicShell Start Menu after clicking the "Start" button.

CS_Menu2.jpg

Above is a screenshot of the ClassicShell Start Menu after clicking "All Programs".

Before I installed ClassicShell I was getting on alright with the default start menu, but the ClassicShell menu is just so much more useable.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Strange Win10 Networking Behaviours

Am not using "homegroup"; using "WWS" workgroup on all my systems.

Currently I have this Win7 Pro x64 desktop PC (specs in my signature) + my old Toshiba P300 laptop w/ Win10 Home x64 + my Win10 TP b.10525 desktop all set to connect to my "WWS" workgroup.

From this Win7 PC I can connect and transfer files to/from either Win10 system immediately (no lags or errors/prompts).

If I try to connect from either Win10 system to the Win7 system I am returned error as in below screenshot:

P300_NetworkError.jpg

If I wait (about 2 minutes) for the green progress bar to complete I can then access the Win7 system, but if I log off or reboot I have to go through the same procedure again.

If I try to connect between either Win10 system I am presented with a "Windows Security" prompt to "Enter network credentials" w/ a "Quick access" progress meter in the address bar. If I wait 5 minutes (or more) the connection still fails and re-presents the logon/password prompt (even though there is no password set on the target system).

P300_QuickAccess.jpg
    Last edited by Coochin; 2015-08-21 at 19:15. Reason: Fix Bad Link

Thanks
    Before I installed ClassicShell I was getting on alright with the default start menu, but the ClassicShell menu is just so much more useable.
    I really like the look of ClassicShell.

As to the networking behavior, I have 2- Win 7 Pro x64, 1- Win 7 Pro x86, and 1- Win 10 Pro x64 laptop and all seem to see each other pretty quickly and transfer files accordingly. All the win 7 computers are on static IP's and the Win 10 laptop is on obtain IP automatically ( which I may change to static before long ). I don't use the "HomeGroup" setup either.
    Since all of my computers have passwords, it was a one time setup to connect them all together. All I had to do when adding the Win 10 laptop was put in the passwords to the other computers and remember them.
    Seems odd that your Win 10 is asking for a password that is not present.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Coochin,

I have the same problem w/Microsoft Account on W10 trying to connect to a Win 8.1 Pro system keeps telling me the PW is incorrect. The problem disappears using a Local Account! I've taken to working in the Local Account and only switching to the MS account to get updates (this pc still in Insiders Program).

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Workgroup w/ Vista and Win10

Vista HP SP2 32bit on one of my workbench desktops can access the Win10 HM 64bit laptop w/o any login prompt or delay (the laptop has a local account w/o password). If I try to use the same Vista to access the Win10 Pro 64bit TP desktop I am presented with a login prompt (even though password-protected sharing is turned off on the desktop; but the desktop has a MS account user account).

Both the W10 laptop and the W10 TP desktop can access the shared folders on the Vista desktop immediately and w/o any error/prompt.

Workgroup w/ XP and Win10

XP Pro SP3 on the same workbench desktop PC can also access the Win10 HM 64bit laptop w/o any login prompt or delay, but a login prompt is returned if I try to access the W10 TP desktop PC.

Both the W10 laptop and the W10 TP desktop can access the shared folders on the XP desktop immediately and w/o any error/prompt.

Further Observations

This is where things get really strange.

On the Win10 Pro 64bit TP desktop I created an admin-level local account w/ no password. The W10 laptop can access the W10 TP desktop w/o error or login prompt, but attempting to access the W10 laptop from the W10 TP desktop returns a login prompt (even though there is no password set on the laptop) ?

XP Pro SP3 on the other workbench desktop PC can still access the Win10 HM 64bit laptop w/o any login prompt or delay, but a login prompt is still returned if I try to access the W10 TP desktop PC (W10 TP desktop logged in to the admin-level local account w/ no password). ??

Conclusions

As Neddy Seagoon (Sir Harry Secombe of the BBC's "Goon Show") said "this is all very confusing really...".

Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

It seems that I don't yet correctly understand the problem in Win10.