Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

KILL the Cortana process

Until we can get a more comprehensive idea of it's privacy implications...
    Or if you just plain and simply have no use for the stupid APPLE nock-off.

Warning: This will also kill the "Search" functionality on the taskbar too, which I know some of you have no need for whatsoever.

Prior to performing the following I recommend that you curtail Cortana as much as possible from within it's own settings first,
    and then the last bit here should finish it off completely. Take note that a future WU may repair this and it's
    also highly possible that a typical OS repair will do the same.
    First open up task manager and look for it's backgrounds process. Take note that
    it comes right back after "ending" it, so...

Navigate to this folder: C:\Windows\SystemApps in Windows Explorer & right click on
    the folder "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy", attempts to rename it will fail, but after
    failing to do so, go back to Task Manager and end it again. Then quickly switch back
    to renaming it, it should take this time and Cortana will no longer show up in Task Manager.

The above worked for me and was found here.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    CLiNT,

Or just switch to a Local Account. This method let's you keep the search box.
    LocalAcctSearchBox.JPG
    Sample:
    LocalAcctSearchBox1.JPG

Personally, I'm not real keen on this whole MS Account thing (Snowdenphobia)

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Personally, I'm not real keen on this whole MS Account thing (Snowdenphobia)

HTH
    I agree, RG. I have done just fine with my "local" account for all these years. Whenever I needed to connect to anything, I connected manually, then disconnected when I was done. For example, using VPN to log onto my work network. I really don't appreciate being shoehorned into a "domain" account by Microsoft.

"Snowdenphobia" -- a great name, in honor of one of our nation's heroes.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The other side of the argument is that you guys have to stop disabling things like Cortana and not use local accounts or there's little point in using Win 10 because the interoperability of those features is what sets it apart from say, Win 7. In other words, this is what she's built for! So what if MS and others are gathering a little information on the side, what do you have to hide?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    what do you have to hide?
    Fun,

If you only knew!
    ROTFLOL.gif

Actually though they are not the only reasons. There are security enhancements and it runs a lot faster than 7 on my older laptops. And of course "it's FREE" who can pass up FREE! HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2016-10-22)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    The other side of the argument is that you guys have to stop disabling things like Cortana and not use local accounts or there's little point in using Win 10 because the interoperability of those features is what sets it apart from say, Win 7. In other words, this is what she's built for! So what if MS and others are gathering a little information on the side, what do you have to hide?
    For a time, I was running Windows 8.0 (32 bit) rather than Windows 7, because I wanted to stay up with the times, not because I wanted "interoperability" (or a Microsoft "domain" account, as I call it). I then chose to go back to Windows 7, because of little issues here and there. I never wanted a "domain" account on my personal computer. I had one on my work computer -- it was called VPN.

I am somewhat suspicious of Microsoft shoehorning everyone into setting up a Microsoft account rather than a local account (i.e. they hide the option to set up a local account), when it would be just as easy for them to allow you to freely choose between Microsoft and Local -- they could simply give a brief explanation of what each of the two means, and then let the user choose.

But I suspect that the vast majority of users have no clue that a Microsoft account is not, in fact, a local account. I'm sure that at least some people would choose to have a local account if they were given a clear explanation and a clear choice.

Thanks
    I followed this article to shut down Cortana and clear all search history.
    How to: Disable Cortana in Windows 10
    http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/4...atest+Articles

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Has anyone looked down to the search box to see their current conversation w/ spouse, or the newscaster's reporting on the TV in the same room being entered like closed-captioning? Scary!
    ps - I now have a post-it over the camera lens

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    There are security enhancements and it runs a lot faster than 7 on my older laptops. And of course "it's FREE" who can pass up FREE! HTH
    Aye, the wrong kind of security enhancements though, the ones that enhance MS's hold on computers and further the same mounting internal roadblocks instead of something like an enhanced Steady State that has been long abandoned. It's like the difference between China's capitalism and real capitalism to me, sometimes subtle, sometimes dramatic. MS loses some, maybe a lot of control though if they opt for real changes in security.

And by the way, the difference in reading of John Carter from then to now (35 years), JC is now pretty much a MORON! He can fight even better than I remember though...from pole to pole, uncovering three long-forgotten races in less than two [Barsoom] years and conquering them all! Oops, spoiler alert.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smobertoday View Post
    Has anyone looked down to the search box to see their current conversation w/ spouse, or the newscaster's reporting on the TV in the same room being entered like closed-captioning? Scary!
    ps - I now have a post-it over the camera lens
    No, but Adam Carolla says that anytime he has time alone with his laptop, he puts a stretch of electrical tape over the cam lens, just in case.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Thanks
    I'm still old school when it comes to using nothing but a non MS logon admin account.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Windows 10 Checks For Pirate Bay Torrents, Bootleg Games And Hardware Automatically

Don't plan on using any games or bootleg software downloaded from the Pirate Bay on Windows 10. The End User License Agreement in the new operating system makes it clear that Windows 10 is capable of scanning user machines and prohibiting them from using any services that appear to have been obtained illegally.

Section 7b of Microsoft's Services EULA (under “Updates to the Services or Software, and Changes to These Terms”) warns users that Windows 10 “may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices.”

By agreeing to these terms, Alphr.com reported, users are enabling Microsoft to sift through their files in search of the vaguely defined “unauthorized hardware peripheral devices,” which could mean anything from modified Xbox controllers to unauthorized versions of Microsoft Office.

What's more clear is that corporate patience with pirated games and software is running out. Video game makers have increasingly required users to input an activation code that comes with purchased copies of the game before they're allowed to play online, limiting the appeal of a pirated copy. Adobe, in response to seemingly endless Photoshop piracy, recently unveiled a subscription-only version of the popular editing software, only to have that pirated and redistributed within a day of its release.

Microsoft has yet to publicly clarify what its EULA actually means, but this update is just the latest bone of contention for users concerned about their privacy. It was previously reported that Windows 10 will monitor users and send regular updates on their activity back to the company, even if they say they wish to share nothing at all.
    Some food for thought, although I can't really say it suprises me [much].
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Windows 10 Checks For Pirate Bay Torrents, Bootleg Games And Hardware Automatically

Some food for thought, although I can't really say it suprises me [much].
    What's to stop them from doing that to Windows 7 and 8?
    George

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by High Sierra View Post
    I assume that would be lawsuits since people paid for those.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by High Sierra View Post
    Nothing
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

High Sierra (2015-08-23)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast