Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2013 (32-bit): Email accounts all disappear and return randomly

For the past few months, upon opening Outlook 2013 (32-bit), there are occasionally no "Send/Receive Groups". Clicking on the "Send/Receive Groups" in the Quick Access Toolbar shows that there are no email accounts setup (I normally have 7 accounts). Clicking on "Send/Receive All Folders (F9)" in the Quick Access Toolbar does nothing. Simply restarting Outlook corrects the problem. On average, it happens about once every 15 times I open Outlook.

I've tried:
    1. Checking to see that I'm not offline. There is no Outlook indication of being offline and my browser works like I'm online. Also, without changing anything, restarting Outlook makes it work.
    2. Running the repair of Outlook (several times). It didn't help.
    3. Running "SFC /Scannow". It always shows that all system files are okay.

The system is Windows 7 SP1 (64-bit) with all Microsoft updates through today (8/21/2015).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is going on?
    Stu

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Is it possible that you have more than one Outlook profile?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Is it possible that you have more than one Outlook profile?
    When you say "Outlook profile", are you referring to the Outlook.pst file? If so, I do have two of those: One is Outlook.pst and the other is Archive.pst. I archive all emails older than one year to the Archive.pst file. However, I always start Outlook using Outlook.pst.

One other thing I forgot to mention: This Outlook 2013 was an upgrade to my previous Outlook 2007. I don't know if that means anything, but I thought you should know.

Administrator
    Thanks
    No, Outlook profile is not another .pst. An Outlook profile includes multiple files, actually, all relevant outlook files, including those that are used to keep accounts details (which are not kept in Outlook.pst). Are you ever asked to choose a profile before Outlook starts?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, Outlook profile is not another .pst. An Outlook profile includes multiple files, actually, all relevant outlook files, including those that are used to keep accounts details (which are not kept in Outlook.pst). Are you ever asked to choose a profile before Outlook starts?
    No, I've never been asked to choose a profile and I've never attempted to create a second profile.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Does this happen on startup or does it happen after you close Outlook and open it again?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does this happen on startup or does it happen after you close Outlook and open it again?
    That's a very interesting question. I wondered the same thing at one point because my startup is so busy, I thought it might have just "missed" loading the email accounts somehow. However, I've yet to correlate it to the PC being busy. For example, the two times my PC is most busy is on startup and when returning from hibernation (scheduled after one hour of inactivity). If it does happen at either of those two times, it's certainly not reproducible.

This type of problem, for me, is the toughest to resolve. Normally I might, for example, deactivate each Add-in (I only have Avast and gSyncit Add-ins active) and see if it helps. However, I can never know that way because it happens so infrequently. I even turned on troubleshooting logging in Outlook for about a week. When the problem next occurred I checked the logs but didn't see anything I though was suspicious.
    Stu

Administrator
    Thanks
    Well, I did ask for a different reason. Sometimes Outlook misbehaves and it needs to be shutdown and if it doesn't shutdown properly, strange things may happen, although the most frequent is Outlook not opening again. That was my line of thinking.

Anyway, I fear I may not have an answer for your problem. You can check whether you have more than one profile, though, by going to Control Panel -> Mail. Click it and have a look at the profiles button to see how many profiles you have and how they are configured to load, maybe that can shed some light on the issue.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did as you suggested and only have one Outlook profile. It is appropriately named "Outlook".

I guess I'll just wait to see if anyone else has any ideas.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes, that's usually the default profile name. So it's not a profile issue. Hopefully someone can come with some other insight.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Do you have your Outlook pst files on a network drive?

Have you run any hardware tests?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Do you have your Outlook pst files on a network drive?
    Have you run any hardware tests?
    Joe
    No, the Outlook ".pst" files are both on the internal hard drive (conventional, not SSD) in my HP laptop. As far as hardware tests, I've run Chkdsk with both options chosen ("Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors") a few times with, I believe, no problems found and definitely no change in fixing this problem. I haven't run any other hardware tests for this. I suppose I could run Memtest on the 6 GB of memory.
    Stu

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've tried one more idea that might solve the problem. In my Windows 7, when you go to "Control Panel - Programs and Features - Microsoft Office 2013" and then choose "Change", you are only offered two options. They are "Quick Repair" (which says "Fixes most issues ...") and "Online Repair" (which says "Fixes all issues ..."). I've always used the "Quick Repair" in the past. Today I tried the "Online Repair". I'll give it a few weeks and report back if it fixed my problem.
    Stu

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Good luck. I'm afraid that if that does not resolve the problem you need to try a new email profile. Unfortunately, you'll have to add all your email accounts if you have to take that route.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bad news: Even after using the Microsoft Office 2013 "Online Repair" I JUST had the same problem again. However, this time I did some looking around before restarting (my dependable cure). Below you will see 2 images; one clearly shows that all my email accounts are still there and the other (found by just clicking on "File") shows that Outlook "thinks" that I'm still in the process of upgrading from Outlook 2007 (which occurred about a year ago). How do I permanently tell Outlook that I'm done upgrading?
    Stu
    Upgrade in Progress.jpg
    Email Accounts.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast