Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

wish to burn CDs of Phonograph albums

My system is Win NT4 SP6.1

I have a older Panasonic stereo system(SG-D27).

I am wondering if I can somehow connect the output of the turntable to my computer to capture and record my old records.

The only place on the stereo for output of music would be the lines that run to the speakers (left and right). If I had the proper cabling, whatever it would be, can I run the speaker lines to my computer?

Thank you for any thoughts about my dilemma! And Happy New Year of 2002!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Re: wish to burn CDs of Phonograph albums

Ideally you want to use 'Line Out' outputs, which are 'raw' signals.
    Connecting to your speaker outputs will include any bass, treble etc. settings .
    And you stand a good chance of destroying your audio card if the volume is too high!

You should be able to pick up some cables for a turntable > pc connection. Usually you will have a pair of 'Phono' sockets on audio equipment (round outer screen with a centre pin) - so I would guess you need Twin phono plugs to a mini stereo jack plug.

If you need some advice / recommendations for software, check <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=free&Number=53343&page=1&vi ew=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=>this thread</A>.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: wish to burn CDs of Phonograph albums

It seems you have a turntable with built-in amplifier. Sound quality from speakers outputs is unsatisfactory even for analog recorders (as tape recorders, for example). Try to find a turntable with "line" outputs (usually it is a pair of RCA connectors). To connect turntable to your computer, you will need RCA-to-3.5mm(MALE) cable. For the most models, signal volume from turntables is low enough for microphone input, but it is recommended to connect it to "line in" input first. Volume control on your virtual mixer (as Windows "Volume Control") for this input have to be near the middle of the scale for satisfactory loudness; if it's on MAX, connect the turntable to Microphone input.

Don't forget to clean carefully your vinyl discs and turntable arm's needle from the dust.

Happy New Year!