3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

minimalist Win 10

I'm about to travel to a region of the world where there is little internet (often none) and where I suspect things may disappear from my hotel room. In addition, there are severe weight limitations on my luggage.

Hence, I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a small (probably tablet or netbook) unit, preferably running Win 10 (which I have on one of my three pcs), that has these capabilities:
    - connect by Wi-Fi (mainly for e-mail and perhaps news of the outside world) to the web in the rare places where that service is available.
    - ability to input and store pictures from a full-sized SD card.
    - very light in weight (preferably under a pound or certainly under two).
    - less than $300 (if possible) so that its loss would not break my bank account.

Is this a pipe dream?

Many thanks.

globalist

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Globalist,

Here's a thought how about an Amazon Kindle Fire HD 32GB $214 + EyeFi 16Gb Card $59 for your camera.

I've had great success traveling with this package (Although I've got less GB in both devices). I just take pictures and when I want I can wirelessly upload them to the Kindle and from there to FB. The Kindle is small enough that you can take it with you so you don't have to worry about thieft.

Of course for more money you could get a Smart Phone like the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and a OTG card reader and/or cable and do the same thing. I know this works since I just purchased this OTG card reader $7.99 and tested it. I also decided to order this OTG Cable $4.99 that I can plug USB Thumb drives into to download off the phone should it get full (not much of a chance w/32Gb in the Phone + a 32Gb MicroUSB add-in card and I'm not much of a photog!).

BTW: The Note 4 has a great camera of it's own and of course you can easily carry it with you at all times.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the extremely rapid response!

Can I use a webmail app with this setup?

Thanks
    Yes, the Kindle has the Silk browser and I just tested it to log into gmail and it worked fine. But you should know that it has an Email app that you can setup your email accounts in and use that which works better than webmail IMHO. It will also work on the Note 4 and you can even load FireFox or Chome on that or use the same email app! HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks!
    All of my e-mail is routed through my internet supplier's mailbox (which I was I use on the web) to both my Android (Samsung) cell phone (which I seldom use for e-mail and there is little or no cellular service where I am going) and my main e-mail - Outlook 2010 on my main desktop.
    I'm not familiar with the Silk browser - will have to start looking at it.

Thanks
    Globalist,

If you phone is a Galaxy it has Wi-Fi!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Globalist,

If you phone is a Galaxy it has Wi-Fi!

Right - I often connect my phone by Wi-Fi. How does that help for the need with which I started?

Thanks
    Globalist,

The Wi-fi will allow you to get your email via the Browser or Email App w/o cell service...just stick the phone in Airplane mode to save battery. I do both on my Note 4. If your phone supports OTG you can get one of the cables I listed and copy photos to the phone if you have a lot of memory or to the phone and then back to a USB Key (requires both cables listed). HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I recommend that if there is a Microsoft store within a reasonable distance that you visit one. The devices sold there are competitive price wise and come with no OEM crapware. I'm pretty sure that if they don't already have Win10 they will be upgradable. Perhaps the store personnel will even do the upgrade.

BTW, I've upgraded a Dell Venue 8 Pro to Win10. Had to free up some disk space but that was OK. Upgrade went smoothly once the disk space was available.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've visited several stores, including the Windows store. They did not show me anything that met my needs.

My Lenova laptop was upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 a week ago, and it seems to be working well. I'll be using it exclusively over the next week.

The Windows stores will upgrade any pc that meets the standards for Win 10, for free. The stores are swamped with requests.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Makes sense for the e-mail need- thanks!