Star Lounger

Visual Basic and Visual Studio Community 2015

Posting this in the spirit of Microsoft's open source efforts. About Visual Basic in the Visual Studio Community 2015. BTW, in the following, no paid time was involved.

My interest was to renew my exposure to the Visual Basic environment. Last visit was Visual Basic for Excel in Win 95 around 2001.

Now I'm looking at Visual Basic in Visual Studio Community 2015.

Prior to the install, at, found 26 video lessons on Visual Basic [1]. The Visual Basic videos are based in the Visual Studio Express 2013 for Desktop.

I agree with the title "Visual Basic Fundamentals for Absolute Beginners".

Up through lesson 23, it's all small-piece console apps. In lesson 24, on event handlers, is the first time I remember seeing GUI objects, ala Windows Presentation Framework. In lesson 25, on My.Namespace, is the first time I remember seeing reading in a file.

Edit 2015-08-22 - I was mistaken. In Lesson 12 "While Iterations and Reading Data from a Text File", one reads in a text file. Lesson learned here - Beware of your history. I am interested in reading in and writing out text files. The first post was after I been through the 26 lessons in two days, and I was completely ignorant of the clearly stated lesson title, and my experience of the video. Whether fatigue or elder fart bias, please excuse the oversight.

I am now roughing it, and going through the lessons again, in reverse order.
    Edit 2015-08-2 end

I think it was worth my time. It's was a good introduction to a contemporary Visual Studio Visual Basic IDE.

I did not download and install Visual Studio until after watching all 26 videos. After a short search, and a mention of Visual Studio Community 2015 [2]. I decided on Visual Studio Community 2015 [3], and did a custom install [4]. I have an inexpensive $300 May 2013 laptop running Win 8.1 Pro Update.

System requirements for Visual Studio Community 2015 and Visual Studio Community 2013 with Update 5 [4].

I was confused that Visual Basic was not a selection during the custom install. But it was installed. Took me a couple hours to download and install [5].

The IDE in the videos is a little different. Unlike the videos of Visual Studio Express 2013, when starting a new project, in the Template window at left, the first and default choice is not Visual Basic, but Visual C#. Below it is Visual Basic. Under Templates, I selected Visual Basic | Windows | Classic Desktop, then under .NET Framework 4.5.2 (default), I selected Console Application.

Tried Lesson 3, do "Hello World", and it worked.

Visual Studio Community 2015 runs sluggish on my AMD E1 4 MB laptop, but it runs.

Happy Friday.

[1] Visual Basic Fundamentals for Absolute Beginners
    26 episodes, based in Visual Studio Express 2013 for Desktop.

"Who can use Visual Studio Community?
    A: Here’s how individual developers can use Visual Studio Community:

Any individual developer can use Visual Studio Community to create their own free or paid apps.

Here’s how Visual Studio Community can be used in organizations:

An unlimited number of users within an organization can use Visual Studio Community for the following scenarios: in a classroom learning environment, for academic research, or for contributing to open source projects.
    For all other usage scenarios: In non-enterprise organizations, up to 5 users can use Visual Studio Community. In enterprise organizations (meaning those with >250 PCs or > $1MM in annual revenue), no use is permitted beyond the open source, academic research, and classroom learning environment scenarios described above."
    Marked as answer by Tina-Shi Microsoft contingent staff, Moderator Friday, August 07, 2015 12:11 PM
    Friday, July 31, 2015 10:56 PM

Visual Studio Community
    A free, fully-featured, and extensible IDE for creating modern applications for Windows, Android, and iOS, as well as web applications and cloud services.
    [ Download ]

System requirements for Visual Studio Community

[5] 20aug15 - Downloaded "vs_community.exe".
    Running Win 8.1 Pro with updates.
    Installed to default -
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0".

For the type of installation, if "Select All" chosen, "Setup requires 29 GB across all drives".

For the type of installation, chose "Custom".

In "Select features", reviewed choices.
    Under Programming Languages, only Visual C#, Visual F#, and Python Tools for Visual Studio. No Visual Basic.
    Under Windows and Web Development, selected Microsoft Web Developer Tools.

For this "Custom" installation, "Setup requires up to 6 GB across all drives".
    => Only Microsoft Web Developer Tools selected.
    Clicked [Next].

"Creating a system restore point."
    Noted "Applying Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6".
    (Acquiring, Applying) 4:47-5:57pm.
    Restart, Visual Studio 2015 setup 6:22pm.
    Visual Studio 2015 setup on second user(standard), 6:24-6:27pm.

Last edited by dried_squid; 2015-08-22 at 15:21. Reason: correct misinformation