Thanks

Recently added Windows DVD Player

I've been in my Administrators group MS account for the most part getting Windows 10 Pro setup in my own idiosyncratic ways, and only used my other local accounts sporadically just to set those up and relocate Users folders, etc.

Today I'm piddlin' in my local bbearren account, my "regular use" account, and noticed in the "Recently added" section of the Menu "Windows DVD Player". I haven't bought anything from the Store. My Windows 7 Ultimate that I upgraded did have Windows Media Center, but it got rooted out by the upgrade, and I haven't really paid any attention to that part of things yet. So I was a bit surprised.

I tried some DVD's, to see how complete the codecs are; some play, some "can't be decoded". So maybe that will get better, but I don't play DVD movies anyway, I have digital copies of my movie library in .mpg format. Next I tried playing one of those, right-clicked and selected Open with... and "Movies & TV" was one of the options. I selected that, and it played my movie.

I also have a collection of music videos in .mp4 format, so I right-clicked one of those and selected Open with... and the "Movies & TV" app was one of the choices. I chose that app, and my music video played just fine.

When I first upgraded, the .mpg and .mp4 files weren't accessible. Windows Media Player would play the music part of the .mp4 files, but not the video. And right-click-Open with... didn't give me the option of "Movies & TV". I didn't pursue either of those at the time, having other more pressing things to get done with my upgrade.

Bottom line, it seems that through the many Windows Updates and Patches for Windows 10, both DVD playback (with limitations) and music video playback have been added/improved. Hopefully, the codec library for Windows DVD Player will get expanded in the near future.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    You got it via Windows Update.
    Windows DVD Player FAQ: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...7403084&auth=1

1. Q: What Windows editions are eligible for the free Windows DVD Player app when upgrading to Windows 10?
    A: Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate, and Windows 8/8.1 with Media Center.
    4. Q: What do I have to do to get the free app?
    A: Soon after upgrading to Windows 10, the free Windows DVD Player app will be automatically downloaded via Windows Update, but you can speed up this process by going to Settings from the Start menu, selecting Update & security, and then click Check for updates. You should see a new KB3081704 update available that begins to download, which will install the free Windows DVD Player app.
    I currently play my DVDs from a file backup, does the Windows DVD Player app support this?
    A: No, the app currently only plays DVD movies on optical discs.
    Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    1. Q: What Windows editions are eligible for the free Windows DVD Player app when upgrading to Windows 10?
    A: Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate, and Windows 8/8.1 with Media Center.
    I got the free Windows DVD Player on Win10 Home that was an Upgrade over Win7 w/SP1 Home Premium, works fairly good but has some periods of a flicker or very short pause so don't know if I need a new DVD drive or if it is something with the video card. I'll need to investigate further.

Thanks
    I need a new DVD drive or if it is something with the video card. I'll need to investigate further

It may be neither. Try the full K-Lite codec pack. WMP will then play almost anything. It also has Media Player Classic bundled with it, which you can use as an alternative to WMP. If you have the problem with both, check for a new graphics driver.

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm