Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Windows 10 to XP

This harddrive had XP
    then upgrade to Windows 8.1
    Then install Windows 10

Today I want to reinstall a new copy of XP and take out Windows 10 off the hard drive without reformating

How hard will this be to do????

Dave
    Last edited by smithdoor; 2015-08-23 at 12:25.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    XP will probably see the newer install and not let you install or it might not see the drive properly at all if Win 8 established a GPT drive at the time of it's install. Not knowing what the status is I would say just use some boot partition software and prepare the drive properly for XP.

Thanks
    Do I need to format and where do find the boot partition software

Dave

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know if you need to format or not, depends on the state of the partition/drive. If it's GPT, yes, the partitions need to be removed, the drive set back to MBR and formatted.

One free partition manager is Partition Wizard (5th one down).

Thanks
    Thank you
    Dave

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    .... I want to reinstall a new copy of XP and take out Windows 10 off the hard drive without reformating....
    I understand why someone would want to put XP back on an XP computer.

I guess I would ask why would you want to do this in the manner you insist, rather than nuking from orbit and starting over? It makes no sense to me since you are using a new copy of XP.

Are you envisioning keeping your current apps and settings in place? Because that is not doable.

You can however, create a partition within your current setup and then install XP into that set up in a dual boot scenario. And then delete the Win10 partition and release the dual boot into a direct boot off of XP. That is WAY more complicated than nuking the whole drive and installing XP.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You can't just "remove" Windows 10 from the drive. You need to backup your data to an external drive. Then do a clean install of XP. You'll have to reinstall all your applications and then restore your data.

Joe

Thanks
    Thank you
    Dave

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you remove the Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 7) installation, you'll thereby be deleting every document, every picture, every video, absolutely everything from your computer, never to come back. I say this because not everyone realises it. You'll also delete your Windows 7/Windows 10 licenses, meaning you can't reinstall Windows 7 unless you have the product key(s) written correctly elsewhere.

If you wipe your Win7/Win10 installation, it's possible that unless you reinstalled Windows 7 by about May next year, in time to accept Microsoft's free upgrade offer, you will could lose your chance at free Windows 10 for good, depending on whether you made a Win10 installation DVD and whether Microsoft let you install Win10 as a clean installation.

So JoeP517 gives you very good advice. Back up. Back up everything before proceeding. A partition backup, no other type of backup will save all of everything you'll probably need later. Do you have an external hard drive of a capacity around at least the same capacity in Gigabytes of your system's hard drive? If no, then it's time to buy one (I recommend a 2GB drive). Have you run partition backups before? If no, then first spend a few days of your spare time learning to partition backup fully and properly with Windows's native backup program, and fully test (without accidentally overwriting your live data!) that all files are indeed readable in your backups. Ideally you want two partition backup to different drives in case one fails (e.g. dropping it, or it just dies at the worst possible time due to Murphy's law, your data your risk).

If you install only XP, then you'll be running a very insecure operating system. Microsoft stopped providing security updates to it a year and a half ago. Antivirus vendors are ceasing to support it. No antivirus, anti-spyware program and firewall will protect you. Hey it, might appear to run fine for a day, a month, or a year. Then you find all your personal data has been stolen by a hacker, or malware has been installed via, say Java (no longer security updated for XP) and you have to pay scammers $400 to remove the malware before it deletes all your files. Windows 7, however, will be secure (critical updates provided) until 2020.

Here's some better ideas: Install XP as a multiboot with your more modern operating system by partitioning your hard drive into two. Multiboot means whenever you start the computer you get a menu asking which OS (operating system) you want to boot to (or to the OS you've specified after a configurable time-out). Then, only ever go online with Windows 7 or Windows 10. Also, if the reason you want to revert is that you don't like Windows 10, and you did an in-place upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, then uninstall the Windows 10 upgrade so you revert to Windows 7 (a fantastic OS, imho, Microsoft's best). It definitely can be un-upgraded, I had a friend do it, not sure where though, maybe in Control Panel->Programs & Features.

If you install as multiboot then you'll make the system unbootable by installing XP after Windows 7 (or 10), I found this by experience! If that happens, you'll need to boot from your Windows 7 (or 10) disk and pick the Repair (not install!!) option, and then boot to the repaired OS (XP is still on the hard disk, just not yet bootable) and install & run EasyBCD to fix your multiboot. Don't worry about the 'Buy Now' button on that webpage, it's free for home use, just download and install. In fact, I strongly suggest you do that now, and learn how to use the program fully by consulting their website how to's (EasyBCD has no inbuilt help), before attempting a multiboot installation.

If after a rethink you decide to keep Windows 7 and it's the Pro version and it's a fast machine, you could also install and run XP Mode as an alternative, if a concern of yours is that you want to run old XP programs that don't run on Windows 7. You'd need to look elsewhere for the details on that (this is a long post already!).

If you have enough hard disk space on your machine, you could presumably even multiboot the three OS's, XP Win7 & Win10.

Good luck!
    Last edited by bigbadsteve; 2015-08-27 at 05:01.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadsteve View Post
    .... you decide to keep Windows 7 and it's the Pro version and it's a fast machine, you could also install and run XP Mode as an alternative, if a concern of yours is that you want to run old XP programs that don't run on Windows 7. ...
    1. Very few, I mean very few, 32-bit XP apps won't run fine on Win7.
    2. XP Mode is just as insecure as running XP. It suffers from the same issues because it is XP. You could equally run a virtualized version of XP in Win 8 or 10 with similar insecurity.

I'm guessing the OP wants to move his Win7, 8 or 10 license to another PC, and reinstall XP on an old, slow but still working PC that originally came with XP. Understandable and I have done the same thing.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-08-27 at 09:01.

Thanks
    Here's something you might try, and if you do it, you'd be killing two birds with one stone:

Sounds like your hard drive might have some years on it. If so, it would be a good time to replace it, because sooner or later it will fail on you, being as old as it is.

I suggest that you install a new hard drive, do a clean install of XP on it, and then install the old drive as your secondary drive. The machine would always boot to XP, and all of your documents, pictures, etc, would be on the secondary drive, and available to you. If you then copied all of your documents, pictures, etc., to the new drive, you could then remove the old drive, put it in a static bag, and keep it as a full backup of your old system.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-08-27)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Here's something you might try, and if you do it, you'd be killing two birds with one stone:

Sounds like your hard drive might have some years on it. If so, it would be a good time to replace it, because sooner or later it will fail on you, being as old as it is.

I suggest that you install a new hard drive, do a clean install of XP on it, and then install the old drive as your secondary drive. The machine would always boot to XP, and all of your documents, pictures, etc, would be on the secondary drive, and available to you. If you then copied all of your documents, pictures, etc., to the new drive, you could then remove the old drive, put it in a static bag, and keep it as a full backup of your old system.
    not only install a hard drive, install one that has more storage space of at least 100Gb (Win10 uses much more disk space than XP) and faster speed (maybe a 7200 RPM hard drive over a 5400 RPM hard drive)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by np-7930 View Post
    not only install a hard drive, install one that has more storage space of at least 100Gb (Win10 uses much more disk space than XP) and faster speed (maybe a 7200 RPM hard drive over a 5400 RPM hard drive)
    It goes without saying that you would definitely want to get a big, fast hard drive if you're getting a new one.

I would suggest a 2 TB drive. Lots of storage space, and you don't have to deal with any of the complications of making a >2 TB drive work with otherwise old technology.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    You can't just "remove" Windows 10 from the drive. You need to backup your data to an external drive. Then do a clean install of XP. You'll have to reinstall all your applications and then restore your data.

Joe
    If he did a clean install of xp how would he get the pack 2 an pack3 updates? am curious as didnt think microsoft offered those any more?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mosie View Post
    If he did a clean install of xp how would he get the pack 2 an pack3 updates?...
    See my #15 reply to your #14 post at: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...=1#post1019757
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast