New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update Repeats Updates and Can't FInd New Ones

In short on my Win7 home computer Windows Update is:

1. Repeatedly installing the same patches
    2. Not fining and installing more current patches.

The problem appears to have started last fall. For several months Windows Update did not download any patches to install. Once I recognized the problem this past May I was able to manually run Windows Update and install patches. Sometime thereafter the PC started reinstalling 6 patches and not downloading any newer ones. I can supply a list of these. The installs are all shown as successful in Win Update. I hid these 6 updates, was offered one more - KB3035131 - and the problem repeated. Since the install of this patch was successful I hid it and ran update again. For second time I was offered one more update KB3023266. Again the machine kept wanting to reinstall the update even though the install was successful. I hid this last update, ran Win Update again and got the message that no further updates are needed. That's where matters stand at the moment. Looking at the MS site this seems very unlikely.

More details:

1. There have been no Win Update related error messages until the one I describe below which just appeared earlier today after taking several troubleshooting steps
    2. I tried all the options linked to Fred Langa's June 2015 Win Secrets article about trouble shooting Win Update
    3. Tried the fixit tool here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/971058 When I run this tool for the BITS service it finds and fixes errors. When I run it for Win Update it finds but cannot fix problems.
    4. Next I followed all the detailed instructions on that KB page twice, the second time including the more aggressive actions in step 4. In the course of both attempts a number of DLLs failed to reload properly. I can supply a list.
    5. I also tried MS Fixit tool 50123. No dice.
    6. After multiple reboots and Update operations I ran the KB/971058 fixit tool again. This time it fixed several problems and reported a Win Update error 0x8024402. FWIW, the error is not listed in the event log.
    7. Searching on the error led to yet another MS Fixit here https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...?wa=wsignin1.0 I tried this Fixit but no success. The page points to yet another MS page with possible solutions, none of which either apply or made a difference
    8. The next to last option listed is to find and replace corrupt system files by running the System File Checker. An SFC scan found no errors.
    9. The page also suggest truing the System Update Readiness Tool but I am reluctant to try this one since I cannot tie the problem back to any specific update.

At this point I am stuck. Suggestions anyone?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The System Update Readiness Tool is always a handy tool to try, but when you get repeated updates it's because Windows doesn't recognise they are installed and the previous problem of not downloading any could be because of something on your computer.

To determine if it is something on your computer, next time around for the monthly's try them in a clean boot.

The Win 7 section is lower down in https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929135

If you continue to get repeated updates for any already successfully installed, run a cmd prompt as an admin and enter -

fsutil resource setautoreset true %systemdrive%

and wait for it to execute.

Enter exit to close the cmd window, reboot to see if the problem has been resolved.

If 8024402C is because of a connectivity problem to MS then go Start - type ncpa.cpl and press enter.

Depending upon whether you are using Wireless or Ethernet to connect, right click on the appropriate connection and select Properties.

Click on (TCP/IPv4) then on Properties and check the lower radio button for Use the following DNS server addresses.

In the top row enter 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in the lower row.

Check the box for Validate upon exit - OK - Close and that will activate the connectivity troubleshooter which should report it is unable to identify any problems - then check for Windows Updates again.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-08-23 at 19:24.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dudo15

Thanks for the advice. Neither the clean boot nor the wireless control panel suggestions yielded a solution.

The command line:

fsutil resource setautoreset true %systemdrive%

yielded the error "Error: The specified directory does not contain a resource manager"

Do I need to adjust the command string?

Thanks

Cliff

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That was a cmd I'd saved from a Win 7 forums tutorial for repeated updates

%systemdrive% usually denotes c:\

Try this one and then reboot - fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\

You could also try this MS Fixit http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9666962
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-08-24 at 03:49.

Thanks
    You could also try Tweaking.com's Windows Repair All In One:
    http://www.tweaking.com/content/page...ll_in_one.html

One of the Repair options in the tool is Windows Update.

Jerry