New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Win 10 upgrade made everything Read-Only, can't change it back

Upgraded from Win 7 Home to Win 10 last week. Since then, I am unable to open or edit or save files in my documents folders or either of my two external Seagate USB drives. I've lost edit rights to my many thousands of photos in Picasa too. I have tried changing the folders' properties to full access but after I do it, when I go back in, nothing has changed. It's still Read-only. This has all happened since Win 10 did the upgrade. Am I missing something? Is this a bug or a feature? I read a cryptic blog post that the Win 10 system changed the "owner" of everything to "System" and that caused the problem. Is there a new,secret place in Win 10 to permanently fix this?. TIA hopefully.
    Regards,
    Catmanbob

Thanks
    Maybe you have googled the same as I just did, but here is a Cnet thread on the subject.Windows-10 changed all my documents to "Read-Only" - Forums - CNET Good luck with that and I will have another look around.
    Pete

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, KIWI. Looks good. I'll try it in the morning when I'm awake.
    Regards,
    Catmanbob

Thanks
    This seems the cure in the Cnet thread for a home user with local network only.
    1. Right click your Doc Folder

2. From the scroll down list select Properties.
    3 You should then see the Documents Properties dialog box open.
    4. Select the Sharing tab which should present you with the path to your doc folder. Mine reads something like Network Path :\XXXXX\Users\xxxxx\Documents.
    5 Click on the Share button and then Apply.

But one other person who talked to MicroSoft had to download
    "takeownership.zip" and run an .exe file to change the folder ownership back to "my-name" which changes the windows registry so do your home work first but hopefully you can sort it with the Porperties/Sharing tap.

Thanks
    Several times late 2014 I attended a number of customers who had had their files hidden by a malware program they had inadvertently installed; can't remember now the name of the malware but I think it was something like "FakeHDDLocker". The malware set all the Users Documents, Music, Pictures, etc., files hidden also most shortcuts on the User's Desktop.

After some searching I found "Unhide.exe" on the bleepingcomputer website. It was intelligent enough to unhide the user's files w/o interfering with System files: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/unhide.exe

I have no way of telling whether "unhide" will work in Win10, but it's probably worth a shot.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was just looking at the properties for "My Documents" and it states "Read only(Only applies to files in folder)". However I can edit files in the folder.

Actually I just looked at a lot of folders and they all say the same thing. This must be normal.
    Last edited by High Sierra; 2015-08-24 at 10:48.
    George

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Yep, that's a Windows "feature".

cheers, Paul