New Lounger
    Thanks

Security & honest installers

I've just had someone install a new SSD drive as my "C" drive. I now have cause to question the honesty of this person. My concern is "can someone working on my computer secretly put something on it that enables them to compromise the security of my system or give them access to it at some future point in time" If so, what programs are recommended to detect and eliminate this?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    It really depends on what was used and how it behaves. If it is known malware, you could run a few antiviruses / antimalware scans, to see if something is found. Of course, if there is some unwanted software that was placed there to facilitate external access, controlling external access will work too - a two way firewall with individual program control would be the best way to monitor and control anything that wants to communicate with an external source.

If it is malware and can be detected by AV / antimalware, that's the easy option. If not, a program like Comodo Internet Security Pro, which allows you to control everything that runs on your computer, would be another option (I am not recommending Comodo, which I have no used, just stating that this is the type of software that, through control of every running program and every program that wants to access the internet, would allow you to be sure no rogue software would run and/or access the internet, from your computer). This latter option (not being know malware), would be the one that would require more work and more knowledge about what can and should be running on your computer.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

southphilly66 (2015-08-26)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A very popular program for remote access is TeamViewer. Check if it is installed via Add / Remove Programs.
    Check how many users exist / disable ones you don't use - ask here first in case the user is required for something.
    Change the password on your account.

As always, backup first.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

southphilly66 (2015-08-26)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    do'H!

Quote Originally Posted by southphilly66 View Post
    I've just had someone install a new SSD drive as my "C" drive. I now have cause to question the honesty of this person. My concern is "can someone working on my computer secretly put something on it that enables them to compromise the security of my system or give them access to it at some future point in time" If so, what programs are recommended to detect and eliminate this?

Thanks
    Windows 7 and above have Remote Desktop Connection built in. It allows a technician to take control of your PC and operate it to investigate and fix problems. You have to grant permission first however

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...tion=windows-7

Its also possible to install a key logger or turn on a webcam remotely among other things. The software is installed as a Rootkit. A good malware scanner should reveal if this has been done.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...-anti-rootkit/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

southphilly66 (2015-08-27)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. No webcam installed on this desktop. I will run a malware scan.