5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Virus Infection - Resolved

I recently recommended the download accelerator Download Studio in The Lounge and now I am infected by a virus reportedly contained in it. I now recommend that anyone considering downloading it delay doing so until I find out whether the infection is at my end or elsewhere. I have had years of valuable use of the program, and I would hate to see it go down because someone targeted either it or me and readers as an easy target.

The program uses file splitting, which divides a file into a number separate streams (typically 10), all of which are downloaded simultaneously. The download is accomplished in much less time, and for those with unreliable connections it is extremely valuable because it can pick up where it left off if interrupted. For reasons unknown to me, some sites don't allow file splitting, but that is easily dealt with by setting the number of download streams to 1.

This is the first time I have ever had a virus associated with it. I have literally used it for years and really do recommend it, especially to those with slow or unreliable connections.

This post was made from my Linux installation (a handy thing to have in times of emergency). I'll be seeking advice from conventional sources like Kaspersky and Download Studio themselves, but I would welcome any advice or information from The Lounge as well.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2015-08-25 at 01:07.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Download accelerators are a waste of time IMO. Modern browsers do a perfectly good job of downloading files.
    Un-install the program and run Malwarebytes Anti Malware and an offline virus scanner: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...line-scanners/

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,

Thank you for the AV advice and the excellent link, which is now a bookmark.

Accelerators a not waste of time IMO. Among browsers, my impression is that Chrome is fastest, but I suspect that the OS may play a role as well, with 8.1 faster than 7, and the drive making an even bigger difference, with SSD. Once my accelerator is linked to the download the browser can be turned off and it will take care of itself.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Resolved

I have confirmed a non-virus problem with the executable of Download Studio on the computer I was using at the time in question, but I do not yet have a specific identification for it. I thought it had been flagged as a virus at the time, but apparently not.

Download Studio works normally on my other computers, and I used it today to download a number of files, both small and large, to test it. I continue to be satisfied with its performance and I have found no evidence of any form of malware associated with it, beyond the fact that my computer caught some sort of bug after my having recommended it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    I have confirmed a non-virus problem with the executable of Download Studio on the computer I was using at the time in question, but I do not yet have a specific identification for it. I thought it had been flagged as a virus at the time, but apparently not...
    Think again. AFAICT "Download Studio" is rated at best "adware". Might promise to enhance download speed/experience but in reality NO GAIN (as PaulT notes). It is a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) so does nothing useful, and is most likely doing something unuseful.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Think again. AFAICT "Download Studio" is rated at best "adware". Might promise to enhance download speed/experience but in reality NO GAIN (as PaulT notes). It is a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) so does nothing useful, and is most likely doing something unuseful.
    Can you cite an independent source that reports it as such?

Kaspersky (both Total Security and Internet Security, on different computers) do not flag it for anything, Panda (free) AV does not flag it, Avast (free) does not flag it, Malwarebytes does not flag it, Spybot does not flag it, Norton does not flag it, AdwCleaner does not flag it, and AFIC it is clean as a whistle. It does add a toolbar that you are free to turn off, but the toolbar is neither here nor there unless you need the real estate, and the toolbar does allow you to interact with the program when you are actively using it.

At thirty bucks itís a good deal in my book. I suggest you take the free trial for a spin and you might change your mind. Some learning is required Ė itís not a simple program, but it is user-friendly. If you have a fabulous enterprise connection you wonít need it, but for a home user it can be very helpful.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @dogberry:
    30 buck for something you can have for free? WOW!

For many years I use DownThemAll, an add-on in my Firefox browser.
    It cuts the download by default only in 4 chunks but that definitely helps the overall speed, at least in my circumstances. As usual YMMV.
    No fiddling with number of chunks, it reverts to 1 automatically if a download site does not allow more than that.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eikelein View Post
    @dogberry:
    30 buck for something you can have for free? WOW!

For many years I use DownThemAll, an add-on in my Firefox browser.
    It cuts the download by default only in 4 chunks but that definitely helps the overall speed, at least in my circumstances. As usual YMMV.
    No fiddling with number of chunks, it reverts to 1 automatically if a download site does not allow more than that.
    Todayís price is $14.97. The last time I checked it was Ĺ-price of $30=14.97, but now it is 40%off=14.97 and it probably bounces these days around trying to keep one eye on Shanghai and another eye on interest in places like The Lounge and the relative values of haywire currencies. I think I (long ago) paid a fair price and it is an old-style licence: single-user and good for all time. I do not have a vested interest in the company (and I hope they donít change the licence on me).

You are my best witness: you admit to using a download accelerator (yours has one advantage: it defaults to one when it encounters a source that requires it), where my critics find no benefit from such software. Yours is freeware, which mine is not, which may or may not expose yours to the abuses of freeware implied in one post.

It is mere suspicion, but it may be that the critics are using, if not state-of-the-science hundreds of terabytes-per-second internet speeds, at least mighty fast connections at speeds at which acceleration is moot Ė they will see no benefit because they are already going a mile a minute and then some. Not all of us are that lucky.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    dogberry, you said in post #1 that the accelerator had infected your PC. That is more than enough reason to not use it.

cheers, Paul