2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

windows 7 ISO file

I have a perfectly legitimate legal (if rather old) copy of Windows 7 Pro SP1.

I decided to reload the notebook on which it was loaded. All went well (including activation) until it came to updates. It showed over 200 important ones and, seeing that number, it decided it would not play ball after loading about 30.

If I were to download a Windows 7 ISO file would it be the latest version with minimal updates and be would I be able to activate it?

David
    Last edited by dd_uk; 2015-08-24 at 06:40.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I don't know whether the latest ISO has all updates but I would fix your update problem rather than download something that may not solve your problem.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...e-issues/en-gb

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could try restoring back to before the updates and then just try them in blocks of 10 to see if they install then and then you will be able to see which ones are sticking - if any, but as well as running the Fixit that Paul has linked, try the System Update Readiness Tool - just use the correct one for your version of Windows.

There are also other bits to consider using.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/947821

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unplugged from the internet, I'd try

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

burned to a DVD or USB drive.

If you still had issues, I'd reinstall your OS again from the vendor disk and then unplugged from the Internet use your WSUSOffline disk. Then check the Device Manager for any missing drivers. The go online and run Windows Update.

Note: If the OS disk is not the vendor disk laptops, and other portables, have a lot of drivers. If Win7 was not a supported OS you may need to track down missing drivers and if you cannot find Win7 drivers try Vista or XP drivers to get everything functional.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-08-25 at 15:45.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Getting a more recent Win 7 SP1 iso won't change anything - the newer image will be exactly the same as the old one in terms of what updates are included. You will still have to download & install all the post-SP1 updates.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]