New Lounger
    Thanks

Need consistency of style for Table of Contents

I'm trying to remove the dotted lines in my table of contents. Some lines contain no dots, and others contain dots. I need consistency of style. Can you help urgently?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    The dots you describe are most likely tab-leader dots, created via Paragraph>Tabs. If some Table of Contents lines have them and others don't, that suggests the TOC Styles have different formatting for the levels concerned. To rectify this:
    • Ensure Word's formatting display is 'on', by clicking on the symbol on the Ribbon's Home tab, if necessary, to display paragraph breaks and the like.
    • Select the paragraph break for a TOC entry you want to change and use Paragraph>Tabs to open the Tabs dialogue.
    • For each tab setting you want to change, click on it's position value, then on whichever of the 'Leader' formats you want to apply.
    • When you've updated the 'Leader' formats for a given paragraph and with the paragraph break still selected, right-click the mouse and choose Styles>Update TOC# to match selection. That should update all TOC entries at that level.
    • Repeat for any other TOC levels you want to change.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Paul's answer is complete.

Here are some links in case you want more background information.
    http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide...0of%20Contents
    http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...fcontents.html
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Paul and others.

Very useful information. I wish I had asked earlier in the process!

Much appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    The dots you describe are most likely tab-leader dots, created via Paragraph>Tabs. If some Table of Contents lines have them and others don't, that suggests the TOC Styles have different formatting for the levels concerned. To rectify this:
    Ensure Word's formatting display is 'on', by clicking on the symbol on the Ribbon's Home tab, if necessary, to display paragraph breaks and the like.
    Select the paragraph break for a TOC entry you want to change and use Paragraph>Tabs to open the Tabs dialogue.
    For each tab setting you want to change, click on it's position value, then on whichever of the 'Leader' formats you want to apply.
    When you've updated the 'Leader' formats for a given paragraph and with the paragraph break still selected, right-click the mouse and choose Styles>Update TOC# to match selection. That should update all TOC entries at that level.
    Repeat for any other TOC levels you want to change.