New Lounger
    Thanks

How to get Win 10 upgrade out of my Windows Update?

On my Win7 box it appears that I cannot run Windows Update and install the updates without also enabling the Win10 upgrade.

I unfortunately allowed automatic download of updates - with requiring me to select when and if to install. And there are about 20 stacked up ready to go. BUT - I can find no way to "deselect" the Win10 Upgrade.

Does anyone know how to get it out of the list or to deselect it? I've uninstalled KB3035583, and run Disk Clean, with several restarts - but no joy. The darn thing is still there and I can't get shed of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Try the suggestions in this thread.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...indows-Updates

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Clicking on that link for to see other updates under the Win 10 notification will take you to the list of updates waiting to install and in there you can right click on the Win 10 one and select Hide as well as any other Win 10 related ones - but change your update settings to Check for but let me choose...

When you uninstall an update, it gets offered again so you'll probably see KB3035583 back in there again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks BruceR - that worked!! The note about a long reboot saved a lot of anguish too, very long shutdown and very long startup. But at the end I was able to Hide Win10 Upgrade and the two KBs that set it upl

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I found that going into the Task Scheduler and disabling Microsoft-Windows-Setup-gwx and GWX Triggers tasks worked for me. The files stay on the system and you never see the update again, and you're not hassled with a often daily reminder to download Win 10.

Anybody got any thoughts on this method?
    "2 wrongs do not make a right, but 3 lefts do."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    @wonkabear,

That is just fine particularly if you may want to upgrade later.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, as a fairly basic PC user, I cannot get my head round this problem at all - having read threads and their links.

Basically, like many others, I cannot carry out important updates to Win 8.1 on my Asus desktop, without Win 10 starting to download. Tried, as far as I can understand them, the tricks mentioned above.

So at the moment, I'm just having to ignore these security updates.
    Tim

(Asus Transformer Aio. Win8.1. Galaxy S4. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After having success several weeks ago, (See 08-25-15 post) the darn thing is back wanting to install Windows 10 upgrade on my Win 7 system.
    1 - The Window 10 Upgrade is not listed on the list of outstanding patches, so I cannot hide it.
    2 - KB2952664 and KB3035583 were previously removed and then "hidden" after the reboot. They are still not currently installed
    3 - GTW does not show up in the Task Manager or the Task Scheduler

Any more ideas?
    Where exactly are the "install" files stored, I'd be happy just yanking them out by brute force.

I've got a GWX entry under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WIndows\CurrentVersion\GWX with some entries - what if I just delete the whole key?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could try GWX Control Panel, which now includes "Disable/Enable Operating System Upgrades in Windows Update".

New Lounger
    Thanks
    BruceR - thanks for the link. The GWX Control Panel did the trick. I'm now free of the clutches of Win10 Upgrade. That is the way to go for sure.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Woody recommended that approach today (GWX Control Panel and Disk Cleanup): How to clean the Windows 10 crapware off your Windows 7 or 8.1 PC