Thread: Two users

New Lounger
    Thanks

Two users

My computer was given to me by the previous user who had trashed it to the point where connection to the Internet took about 1/2 hour. After removing five anti-virus programs and thousands of empty files, the machine now works well. However, I am now stuck with two users, myself and the original owner. How do I remove the original owner as a user and put those files under my user name. I find it very confusing when some (but not all) new files are listed under the original user's name

Thanks
    Welcome to Windows Secrets Lounge!

If you delete the other user account, the files will still be there. But you'll need to have admin rights in order to access them.

Here's what I suggest: Create one more account on the computer, and give it admin rights. Disable or delete the "bad" account. Then log in with your normal user name.

Now, try to access one of the files of the "bad" user. It will tell you that you don't have permission, and so you will need to access them via the admin account that you created. It will ask you for the username and password of the admin account you created. You will then be able to access the file.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can change the owner of files to allow full access instead of using another account.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../ff404240.aspx

As long as your account is an admin account you can just delete the other account.

Don't forget to make an image backup before changing too much.

cheers, Paul

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-08-25),mrjimphelps (2015-08-26)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to Jim and Paul for their suggestions. I have opted for the method shown in the Technet article, and it seems to be doing the job.

Ken

Thanks
    Good answer, Paul. I've never gotten around to finding out the right way to do it.