New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Stop Onenote 2010 to 2013 upgrade offer nag?

I use Onenote 2010 with both locally filed notebooks and Onedrive filed notebooks. I want to remain that way. Onenote keeps offering me the "free" upgrade to 2013, except that I know that the "free" version of the upgrade to 2013 will prevent me accessing my local Onenote notebooks.

The offer is to click "OK" or you have to close the offer window.

The nag keeps coming back every couple of weeks (and seems to be happening more often lately). Just now I nearly clicked on the OK by mistake.

I have searched the net several times but cannot find a way to stop this nag screen inviting me to "upgrade" to a crippled version of the product. Does anyone know how to turn this nag offering off? There must be a way.

Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are getting the same offer I am, clicking "OK" only takes you to a web page where you can download the upgrade. In my case, I just closed the web page. As far as stopping the offer, sorry, I have no solution.

Jim

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jim, useful to know that clicking OK does not start an upgrade process. Still I'd prefer to not be nagged by MS at all. I should be able to tick a box, that says "no thanks and don't offer me this upgrade again". I have 'easily' stopped the Win 10 upgrade NAG, but cannot find a way to stop the Onenote one <sigh>.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
    >... Onenote keeps offering me the "free" upgrade to 2013, except that I know that the "free" version of the upgrade to 2013 will prevent me accessing my local Onenote notebooks....
    I've been wondering whether to upgrade Onenote myself. Do you have a source for this information (a website address preferably, Windows Secrets newsletter or Microsoft if available)? And are local Onenote notebooks uploaded to the cloud automatically when you upgrade, or not?
    Last edited by bigbadsteve; 2015-09-12 at 13:30.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Steve,

I've included a few links below, but there is nothing by MS that clearly explains the situation. They seem to be deliberately obtuse. The first link is where they "removed features restrictions" on the 2013 upgrade, but pay attention to where it states that they store files and note that there is no statement about local stores. The other links are to people who have identified the problem. One is to a MS help site, but the MVP there seems ignorant of the problem.

The final link clearly identifies the problem. Basically if you upgrade to 2013 and want local files, then you need a enterprise/business version of onenote, but I'm not even clear from the MS sites which one will actually work with local files even if I wanted to purchase it (and I don't 2013 offers nothing over 2010).

As for uploading the files to the cloud, its unmentioned, so I doubt it, but you could easily move them to your Onedrive folders manually if you wanted. I've done that before for ones that I wanted to put in the cloud.

https://blogs.office.com/2015/02/13/...now-even-free/

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...0-eef083d3df7d

https://welcometosherwood.wordpress....free-or-is-it/