New Lounger
    Thanks

Metrics (Access2000 (9.0.3821 SR-1))

Problem: Upper management requested the number of lines of VB6 and Access Application code supported by my development and support group. What they need is a way of measuring the amount of staff needed in relationship to the applications.
    1. How do we calculate the number of lines of VB and/or Access code we support? We thought of pasting modules into excel (to sort out the blank lines and get a line count). But how do we get code buried in properties, forms and buttons, queries, macros, etc.?
    2. Does anyone know of a way to measure VB and/or Access support?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Metrics (Access2000 (9.0.3821 SR-1))

I

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Metrics (Access2000 (9.0.3821 SR-1))

John,

I'm afraid your upper management is using old-style thinking. Back in the old days when we used to write programs from scratch, you could get a program listing which showed the number of lines of code. Of course, you could trace your way thru an entire program with this source listing. You can't get such a program listing now, and the way programs like Access work, much of what it does is embedded, rather than being your code.

They will have to come up with new methods for measuring amount of staff needed. I would base in on factors such as # of forms, # of reports, etc.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.