Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Experience with SkyHub Cloud Storage?

Has anyone had any experience with SkyHub Cloud Storage? They are offering unlimited lifetime storage for $89.99 through various deal outlets (WinDeals included). I've poked around the web but I can't seem to find any recent reviews by any trusted sources. So what do you say, fellow Loungers? Is it too good to be true! TIA

Thanks
    According to Register.com's Whois, the domain name skyhubcloud.com was only created a bit over 6 months ago (February 7th).
    Last edited by SpywareDr; 2015-08-25 at 13:48.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpywareDr For This Useful Post:

jwcougar (2015-08-25)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    For that money you can get a 2TB external disk, my preferred backup solution.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I agree. I use these: Western Digital My Passport Ultra 2 TB Portable Hard Drive - $89. They work great, they're fast and they fit in my back pocket.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    I agree. I use these: Western Digital My Passport Ultra 2 TB Portable Hard Drive - $89. They work great, they're fast and they fit in my back pocket.
    I have two similar drives. Keep one at home and one in the office, use Acronis Backup software and swap the drives every week or two. That way both drives have both home and office backup information which is no older than the last 'switch'.

Not that I don't trust the "Cloud", I'm just unsure of where my data goes on "Sunny" days.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    Right? And, for most broadband users here in the US, the upload speed, (from your computer to the server in the cloud), is significantly s-l-o-w-e-r than the download speed. Backups can take days, weeks and beyond.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I signed up with them for the $90 unlimited storage for life deal through Windows Secrets. (This is in addition to backing up to an external drive and taking it offsite every two months; call me paranoid.) I figured that it would be worth $90 to give it a try.

So far, I have only used them for a couple of weeks, and haven't tried to restore anything. Here is what I have found:
    - The upload took about 3-4 days, limited by my ISP's 6-10 Mbps upload speed. I let it upload around the clock, and it eventually finished. It did not interfere with my other use, whether I used the "smart" or "turbo" upload setting.
    - I can't find the promised Android app, and I suspect it doesn't exist (yet).
    - SkyHub's promo material promised that you could encrypt data before it leaves your computer, with a password you select (and presumably they don't know). I haven't found that feature yet either, although you can select SSL connections.
    - For the price, you can backup 3 computers. Two users on the same computer count as two computers. I guess I could switch to running the upload from an admin account so that it has access to ALL users' files so that it counts as one user.
    - It is a backup service, not a file sharing service like Dropbox or Box.
    - I can't find any sort of help files, instructions, or information on functions like "smart/turbo bandwidth throttling", but the interface is simple to figure out.
    - I sent them about 600 MB of files, mostly photos. No problem. It shows that I have 16 Exabytes of storage left, so that's effectively "unlimited".

It is too soon to say anything about their reliability or longevity. They say they use Amazon for their storage. I haven't tried contacting customer support, and their web site only has a few unhelpful FAQs; I wouldn't count on much support.

Hopefully, their business and pricing model will allow them to stay in business and add features (like Android and encryption). It seems to be a service with a low level of features and a low cost, so I feel I am getting what I paid for. For a one-time cost about the same as yet another external disk (that I would have to find yet another off-site location to store [I only have a limited number of friends and relatives] and would have to retrieve periodically) I can store my files in the cloud far, far way. While also making it easier for the NSA and Chinese

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterR For This Useful Post:

Bill1947 (2016-02-19),skd (2015-09-29)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterR View Post
    I signed up with them for the $90 unlimited storage for life deal through Windows Secrets. (This is in addition to backing up to an external drive and taking it offsite every two months; call me paranoid.) I figured that it would be worth $90 to give it a try.
    600 MB in a few days seems extremely slow. Most of the providers I've tried I average about 20 - 35 GB / day. Still slow, but with a 10 Mbps connection it is as fast I really want, as faster would interfere with my normal usage of the internet. Always test your restore procedure with any backup. Have you done that? I almost wrote this company off when I saw you have to restore through the website. But apparently that works well with Backblaze, so it might work well with them... When I tested with Altdrive, it reported corrupt files and then aborted 16 GB into a 32 GB restore. Hence, altdrive was dropped from my list of cloud backup services.

The not encrypting before upload sounds like a show stopper. Also given this company has only existed for 6 months, and they are now selling lifetime subscriptions at $50, I would not expect them to remain in business for more than a year. There is no use in backup that will not exist when I need it. Still they could be doing this a as an alternative to venture capital. If it allows them enough money to take their business to the next level, then maybe they will exist a long time.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Has anyone had any experience with SkyHub Cloud Storage?

Forewarned is forearmed with SkyHub Cloud: "Their big print giveth, and their little print taketh away! "

SkyHub's staff is unprofessional. They appear as though their company is trying to hide behind the conservative prestige of the Wall Street Journal
    (a newspaper who's comments on excellence incidentally, may never have been uttered or intended to be understood in connection with SkyHub Cloud's storage service).

Whether or not the Wall Street Journal said this about them, SkyHub Cloud's advertising is in fact a federal offense under the Lanham Act, 15 U.S.C. § 1125 (1) (B), which prohibits false advertising by use of false or misleading descriptions or representations of fact.

In August 2015, I signed up for their lifetime unlimited service which they were selling at $89.99. Under the terms of this advertisement my storage capacity was unlimited. In other words, I was not limited to 1TB storage space on their servers as they have done in other advertisements they have placed. in addition, under the terms of their advertisement, I had the option to store the content of up to 3 computers. Their advertisement specifically included thumb drives, however, at the bottom of the advertisement they stated that NAS and DAS drives were not included in the offer.

Within one month of backing up my desktop computer and having backed up less than 2 TB of data, I received a notice that my storage was full and I needed to buy more storage space. As I had not yet uploaded the content of the first of my three computers, based on the terms of the agreement I signed up for, I knew something was wrong with the error message. I contacted them about this and they replied there had been a "miss understanding" (sic), at the time I signed up, and that all external drives were NAS or DAS drives and that thumb drives were no different. In other words, within less than one month I had exceeded the maximum capacity for the lifetime unlimited subscription costing $89.99, which I had already paid. When I wrote to them a second time they did not respond. I wrote to them four additional times and they never replied. Why would they? They already had my money. They only ever replied to me once.

Fortunately, my story has a happy ending. Although I never heard from SkyHub Cloud ever again once they got my money, I was eventually able to get my money back from the promoters of the SkyHub deal, Stack Social, who are partnered with the website called BitsDujour.

Hope this helps.

ecdaniel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecdaniel View Post
    Why would they? They already had my money.
    They also had your data.

New Lounger
    Thanks

They also had your data.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    They also had your data.
    You are right. They still have my data. This is where it becomes an uphill battle. It is difficult if not impossible to determine from where I am whether the level of encryption they claim through their advertising to have, is sufficient to prevent anyone including them from accessing my data of their own volition. Additionally, it is impossible for me to obtain any assurances from them, as they do not respond to my emails, and I have not been able to obtain their postal mailing address.

I say I have a "happy ending" because, in my case, there is no personal information contained in the files. The files consist of my music collections, movies and picture collections that are contained on a hard drive. If at some point I am able to get in touch with them, I would like to remove the information from their servers. But I won't be holding my breath for this particular outcome.

However, I am remaining vigilant. If I see future advertisements of SkyHub Cloud making these same claims, I just may contact the Internet Security Bureau of our state attorney general's office and see if that office can determine SkHub's postal mailing address, or if they can advise me what breach of privacy actions may be available to me.

jwoods
    Like anything else, doing your due diligance beforehand saves a lot of grief down the road.

PC Magazine did a side-by-side comparison on cloud storage services in March...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413556,00.asp

ZDNet has an article from May on selecting a service...

http://www.zdnet.com/article/whats-t...orage-for-you/

I like the idea of cloud storage for one reason...the data is offsite in case of a disaster.

If a fire or flood took out your location, it wouldn't matter how many external hard drives you backed up with. If they are onsite, they're probably trashed.

Theft (as in old fashion breaking and entering) is also a possibility. A fireproof cabinet wouldn't help there.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-10-28 at 15:42.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

ecdaniel (2015-10-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks

I like the idea of cloud storage

Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Like anything else, doing your due diligance beforehand saves a lot of grief down the road.

PC Magazine did a side-by-side comparison on cloud storage services in March...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413556,00.asp

ZDNet has an article from May on selecting a service...

http://www.zdnet.com/article/whats-t...orage-for-you/

I like the idea of cloud storage for one reason...the data is offsite in case of a disaster.

If a fire or flood took out your location, it wouldn't matter how many external hard drives you backed up with. If they are onsite, they're probably trashed.

Theft (as in old fashion breaking and entering) is also a possibility. A fireproof cabinet wouldn't help there.

Thank you for the comparisons and rankings. I will have a closer look at Code42 CrashPlan.

You are right, of course, due diligence can prevent headaches from occurring later on.
    In the past I have relied on a website to do the due diligence for me, as I myself am not a techy.
    On this occasion they dropped the ball.

I like the idea of cloud storage because I can travel anywhere without carrying the actual physical
    hard drives on my person as extra baggage. Besides Code42 CrashPlan, I do not see any other cloud services that are particularly
    attractive to me at this time. Given the speed of technological advancement these days, I may hold out until I find a lifetime
    unlimited cloud service that is certified reliable and that fits the bill.

Thanks
    I would always say Encrypt FIRST then send to online backup, Even if you think the data is uninteresting to anyone.

PS
    Consider also a safe deposit box in a bank not in a flood zone. This is also useful for a bunch of other stuff:Wills, deeds,titles, insurance papers.....
    Yeah you can't access it from another country.
    Last edited by wavy; 2015-11-01 at 12:16.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    IMHO if it were me I would pick a company whose sole business model was NOT cloud storage. You want someone with a name brand to protect and$$ to do that.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast