Thanks

Windows 10 in infinite boot loop trying to repair system

This afternoon my wife was doing something on the computer, got stuck, and rebooted. Once she rebooted a screen popped up into a repair diagnostic screen and said it was diagnosing the error to repair it. Only problem was that it didn't repair anything and the options that were available were all tried and nothing fixed this infinite loop issue. Luckily, I backed up my system with Acronis TrueImage so as we're speaking my PC is being restored. Has anyone else seen this behavior? If so, were you able to get it out of the loop? If so, how did you do this?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    What you describe happening might just as likely be a hardware problem so see how the restoration goes and if everything is ok for a few days.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    What you describe happening might just as likely be a hardware problem so see how the restoration goes and if everything is ok for a few days.

Well, so far so good as the Acronis restore went off without a hitch. The backup was taken on 8/8 so it was 9 days old but it beat the alternative of no backup at all. I'll update my system to include all of the patches and see what happens. The main problem is that my wife is not a computer person and when she had a problem that caused her to shut down the computer in the first place, she can't recall the circumstances of the event. My guess is that it was something that she did that caused this but who can be sure since she can't remember what she was doing or what happened. I whish I knew so I could tell her "Don't Do That"

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A web cam over her shoulder?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've seen aa number of PCs with the 'Auto Repair started', 'Repair Failed' then reboot/repeat without stopping. Each time I was able to hit ESC, F11, or some other alternate boot choice key then boot from a Win 8 USB(recovery drive). Once that started, I was able to restore the PCs using an existing restore point. The frequency of these 'Repair Failed' Loops is pretty high - perhaps 25-50% of Win 10 PCs installed, so create a restore/recover USB and keep it handy.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggy451 View Post
    Has anyone else seen this behavior? If so, were you able to get it out of the loop? If so, how did you do this?
    After upgrading to 10 and then tweaking things to where I was satisfied (a few days), I cloned my new system. After the machine shut down I disconnected the clone drive and turned the PC on. I had the same problem described above and tried to reboot about five times to either the repair menu or to an error message. Scary stuff as I hadn't tested the clone yet. Finally I put my Acronis recovery disk in and tried to reboot yet again. The machine didn't access the DVD, but it did boot normally from the hard drive. (Boot order is HDD, DVD, USB)

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Does anything in that article apply to this situation? The article is about installation problems and this thread isn't.

Thanks
    I thought the paragraph on Installer hangs or reboots forever would help but reading it closer shows it doesn't apply here. Sorry about that.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In the last few weeks, I've seen a number of failed cyclical self-repair situations on both Win 8/10 PCs. The remedy I've used is to boot to external Windows USB/DVD then restore from the internal HD, repair/re-install Windows. I've been successful cloning the non-booting HDs to new HD then installing the new/cloned HD. Cloning the HD is the fastest fix and I am quite surprised that it works at all.

However, more recently I have found several hard drives that are readable as external drives, but will not accept a Windows repair or reload and must be replaced. I attribute this to severe damage or corruption to the MBR(master boot record) area or something more sinister(a 3 letter government agency?).

Any comment on this?:
    With my latest situation, the PC would not boot to an external drive, but the HD was readable when attached externally. After extensive hard drive repairs, I was able to recover the data, perform a factory reset then clone/replace the HD. When I attempted to replace the HD and fresh install Windows, this PC with a new HD installed would not recognize external drives and had no optical drive. Still trying to understand the failure to recognize external devices, so any comments would be appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If it appears in Disk Management then it may need a drive letter assigned to it.

You probably know how to do this and appears to be a common problem, but thought I'd add -

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/22251...ndows-7-vista/
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-10-26 at 08:25.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo15 for the suggestion.

Windows was not running. Start with the BIOS menu where you can choose the boot device - power on and hit ESC, F1, F2, F11, F12 or whatever the manufacturer designates to access the BIOS menu.

My issue is this:
    What causes a PC not to recognize an external drive to use as a boot device? From the pre-boot (BIOS) menu, selecting the BOOT option menu. You would expect the PC to seek available connected devices and offer a choice. It did not. It booted to the internal HD and the failing self-repair. I tried multiple Win 8.1 and Linux USB drives. None worked. Once I'd repaired the original HD so that BIOS recognized the recovery partition, a factory reset was available. It would never boot to any USB connected device.

What prevents recognition of USB connected bootable drives?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you have a modern mobo with UEFI you may not be able to boot an MBR disk without changing the BIOS settings. I have a USB stick that boots UEFI for those circumstances.
    It may also be a USB3 disk / connection and therefore not recognised without USB3 drivers.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Try a USB 2 port and make sure legacy usb support is on in BIOS
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.