Star Lounger
    Thanks

2 computers in home network Q:

I found a place giving me instructions(newbie on this) on setting up my home network here> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ws-7&section_2

But what I can not find info on is> can I make it so only my wifi laptop can get online but the desktop(winxp) can not, but can share files and programs to desktop from laptop(win10)?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Only your router can limit / prevent internet access. What router do you have?

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    What has worked for me is to give the computers static local I.P. addresses and then for the computers you want to have Internet access, give the correct gateway I.P. address and for those you don't, give them a dummy gateway I.P. address.

For example 192.168.2.5 and 192.168.2.7 static local I.P. address and 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.4.1 for gateway I.P. address (only the first gateway address would work for Internet access). You have to know or figure out what your specific router uses as the third group number (0,1, or 2 most likely and sometimes the 4th number is 2 instead of 1). And when changing to static, do not let your system verify settings or it will try to correct your changes.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    F.U.N is correct, you can do it manually.
    You don't have to give all computers static addresses, just the one you want to restrict. Giving it an address high up in the range should be sufficient, e.g. 192.168.2.251.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you will try this and router is a Netgear N150 WNR 1000v3

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That router doesn't appear to allow much in the way of traffic management, so it's manual set up at the PC.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Got desktop connected to router and workgroup of laptop but xp seems so screwed up cant get programs to run to get it fixed so have decided to save my change an buy win10 after scrubbing xp hard drive clean. Backups wont even fix just made more of a mess. have 1 backup on external drive thought would fix mess but the program that made backup 'Genietimeline' is missing from xp machine. Can not get it downloaded from web on xp so to heck with it. But now know how to setup my workgroup home network for future.Thanks guys!
    Last edited by mosie; 2015-08-29 at 17:47.