Thanks

can't boot with acer recovery disc

hi

need a bit of help here please

win 7 64bit wont boot , error says something like nothing bootable can be found. the acer recovery disc doesn't see the os and there doesn't seem to be a backup image created earlier.

im offered option of loading drivers if the os isn't listed but as i dont have an original disk i get nowhere . pressing the load drivers button opens recovery disk contents which is no help

thanks

Thanks
    If the error is something like "no bootable device found" then you need to somehow run "Startup Repair" to restore your Win7 boot sequence.

If you have a Win7 instillation DVD or a Win7 "System Repair Disk" you could run "Startup Repair" from either of those.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Enter the bios and check that the hard drive is recognised. If the hard drive isn't present it's probably a safe bet it's dead.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-08-28)

Thanks
    any idea what it should say, i only see the boot order, no actual disk name or specs, or mention of ide etc

although a virus scan ran from a cd [just out of curiosity]

i only have the recovery disk mentioned and have tried all its options except restore to factory defaults [last resort]

i had linux running but it only saw optical and usb discs. is there another place i should have looked?
    Last edited by qaz; 2015-08-26 at 14:51.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you tap F2 (usually) as you switch on, it should display your HDD under the General tab.

Tapping F12 as you switch on just gives you the options for selecting a one off boot order change.

Tapping F8 as you switch on should give you the same options as the repair disk which is where you would select Repair your Computer to navigate to the Recovery Environment to select Startup Repair.

You can run that up to three times if it reports that it is unable to repair.

You can also select Command Prompt and enter bcdedit |find "osdevice" and using whichever partition letter it gives you if it can find your OS - enter chkdsk x: /f where x is the partition letter.

(That is a Pipe symbol before find and is the uppercase of \)

If that completes, it will display what it has found and if there are any KBs in bad sectors.