Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thirty-day Win10 experiment lasts only a week

TOP STORY

By Lincoln Spector

Using savvy security software is an important part of staying safe online. But just how effective is it? You can't depend on your experience or mine.

It was intended as a month-long immersion in Windows 10 and a test of using the new OS on a hybrid laptop. But the experiment ended after just seven days. It turned out that upgrading a hybrid laptop/tablet was a trial of BSoDs and compatibility issues.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/thirty-day-win10-experiment-lasts-only-a-week/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I too gave a T100 but have experienced none of these issues after using windows10 for nearly a month.
    I gave had some issues but these were fixed by installing the correct drivers.
    I use chrome as my default browser and haven't experienced any issues.
    I can't comment on the other particular software issues as I don't use those applications

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My ASUS T100TA runs Win10 with few problems although I have not used an e-reader. The mouse pointer sometimes disappears from Chrome if I detach and re-attach the keyboard. Restarting Chrome fixes this - I have to exit the browser and the background processes. I had several FFoD screens but these have not reocurred recently. I have updated ATK and touchpad drivers from the Asus website.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had exactly the same problems with Windows 10. But my machine is a custom built desktop PC... ao it's not someting limited to just a few types of machine. I also experienced at least 2 other serious problems:
    1 I received a BSOD - with error message "CRITICAL PROCESS DIED" - on boot-up. This prevented me from even accessing Windows... thank heavens for a current back-up.
    2. No matter what I tried I could NOT get drag and drop to work.
    Methinks there are still too many bugs yet to be sorted out - so I have also rolled back to Windows 7 (which still works just fine).
    I will be sitting on my hands - and using Windows 7 - for at least the next 9 months!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Lincoln, for your report on the ordeal with Windows 10

By Lincoln Spector

Using savvy security software is an important part of staying safe online. But just how effective is it? You can't depend on your experience or mine.

It was intended as a month-long immersion in Windows 10 and a test of using the new OS on a hybrid laptop. But the experiment ended after just seven days. It turned out that upgrading a hybrid laptop/tablet was a trial of BSoDs and compatibility issues.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/thirty-day-win10-experiment-lasts-only-a-week/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.[/td] [/tr][/tbl][/QUOTE]

This excellent report on Windows 10 is why I subscribe to Windows Secrets. Early trouble reports can be a huge time-saver, inasmuch as Microsoft eventually gets around to fixing most of the bug major reports.

Just imagine, Lincoln, the number of people you helped avoid an uninstallation / retrograde out of Windows 10 !

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I ordered a Lenovo S21e on the day Win10 was announced. And I upgraded to Win10 as soon as the laptop arrived. I proceeded to strip out and turn off the junk. Then the start menu disappeared. I searched and found something from March. It didn't work. So I did an advanced Google search and only searched in the prior week. And I found a post from a Microsoft employee telling how to fix.

So my comments to the author, who was only finding Win 8.1 answers. First, you need to put Windows 10 as part of the search criteria. And then for something like this, you need to limit the time frame.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool No Problems on my stuff

I was an early adopter of Windows 10 starting with the Technical Previews. I have it installed (by upgrade) on three systems: A Nextbook Flexx 11, A Dell Optiplex 780 and a Vizio CA-24. So far I have had zero problems. The Dell is my Python/QT developer system and I've got a little of everything on it. Basically if it ran in Windows 7 it runs under Windows 10. One note, though... X64 Technical Preview would NOT install on my supposedly X64 Atom in the Flexx 11. Says I have a 32bit OS and a 64bit Processor. But, I don't think the Atom x64 is a true x64. If yours says that you have a 64bit OS I'd wager that, that is the problem. (The Upgrade/Download should have caught it, though.)

Thanks
    I will likely never get past Win7 and see this myself, but I love it...

---
    FFoD
    Friendly Face of Death
    Windows 10 version of BSoD dubbed the Friendly Face of Death. -Lincoln Spector
    ---

submitted to http://www.acronymfinder.com/ and http://acronymsandslang.com/

Lounger
    Thanks
    Nice article but.... JARGON!
    Down below you define BSoD. The proper style is "...Blue Screen of Death (BSoD)...." I am just somewhat geeky.
    Second, what is a "hybrid?"
    Thirdly, its a bit wordy.

But overall, it's very good, and much appreciated, which is the whole point, of course.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another ASUS T100 Windows 10 upgrade success story. Did not have to update any drivers prior to doing the upgrade, and the little hybrid now runs better than ever. I did have to uninstall some apps and move files elsewhere in order to make room for the upgrade (probably something I should have done anyway). Prior to that, I did not even get the "invitation" to get Windows 10. As soon as space was available, I ran Windows Update and there was the invitation waiting for me the next time I booted the computer. Within 24 hours, Windows 10 was ready to install, and it went smoothly. I believe that installation was under an hour. All's well that ends well.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Were you invited ??

As many have learned, if you wait for an invite from M'soft instead of just "forcing" an upgrade, the transition is almost always without problems. M'soft also tells you i advance, what will NOT function after the upgrade (usually older software).
    Just go to the menu (little bars) at the upper left after you click on the Windows upgrade logo in your task bar. What?? no logo, then you will never be notified. If you install windows 10 without an invite notification, it is on YOUR head. I have now upgraded 3 Celeron old Windows 7 , cheap laptops and one two year old W8 touchscreen i3 and have had zero problems and improved performance (not sure why the performance improved). I am still awaiting an invite notification for my desktop which has a bunch of extras (peripherals and offbeat software). Patience in this case, as in most, is a virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Atkins View Post

TOP STORY

By Lincoln Spector

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    your problem was almost surely due to upgrading before you were notified by Msoft that your machine was ready. That will not happen "as soon as it arrives." You should have updated Windows and the applied for an upgrade. When all of your drivers etc are available, you will get a notification from M'soft and you are good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by donwiss View Post
    I ordered a Lenovo S21e on the day Win10 was announced. And I upgraded to Win10 as soon as the laptop arrived. I proceeded to strip out and turn off the junk. Then the start menu disappeared. I searched and found something from March. It didn't work. So I did an advanced Google search and only searched in the prior week. And I found a post from a Microsoft employee telling how to fix.

So my comments to the author, who was only finding Win 8.1 answers. First, you need to put Windows 10 as part of the search criteria. And then for something like this, you need to limit the time frame.

New Lounger
    Thanks

lemon

I think you got a lemon. I upgraded my tablet the day Win 10 came out for release. I have not had one BSOD at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Atkins View Post

TOP STORY

By Lincoln Spector

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Giving up after a week is surprising, especially for someone who makes his living off of reviewing computer applications and problems. Problems with a new OS would be inevitable, especially issues with drivers. There's only so much that MS can foresee with the multitudes of different hardware setups in the world. Surprised that Lincoln just gave up and didn't spend more time documenting what it took to get his system running acceptably.

In my own experience, I upgraded 5 laptops and 1 desktop for myself and my kids from Win7 and Win8.1 to Win10. The two Win8.1 laptops (Toshiba) upgraded fine -- no problems. The desktop is an old HP XW4200 that originally had XP on it. Upgraded to Win8 when MS had the $40 deal a few years ago. The upgrade to Win10 went well, 1 to 1.5 hours each. Those three have been running well (and as expected) for a few weeks.

Three laptops (Toshiba, Lenovo, HP) were Win7. Had problems with each of them which necessitated a clean install (which I was planning to do anyway). One went into a dreaded boot-loop; the other two just ran really slow. Upgrade from Win7 was painful and took about 2 hours. Since the clean install (which took less than 1 hour), they have been running great, as fast as when new (or better since the crap-ware is gone). Personally, I'm happy with how things went -- no complaints.
    Last edited by FJH; 2015-08-27 at 08:50.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm on my second week with Win10 - the upgrade went well on an HP Pavilion running Win 7 Pro, 64bit, 1TB hard drive with 8GB ram. But the problems started soon after. Windows event viewer shows tons of errors, some critical and random reboots during the night. I've twice had the machine wake up about a tenth of the way, moving at glacial speed to open ANY window of any kind including system windows. I've had to shut down and that process, as noted, can take forever. So two other times, I've just powered down, and the machine doesn't like that, but when it comes back up it is fine. I decided to rollback to Win 7 for a while anyway, but since I had created an admin account, unlocked the hidden one Fred described, I can't rollback until I get rid of that account, and I can't get rid of it because it is a system level admin account. Rock and hard place. I'll call Microsoft for help this weekend when I have several hours to wait on the phone queue. Sigh. I truly don't believe this OS was ready for prime time.
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

By Lincoln Spector

Using savvy security software is an important part of staying safe online. But just how effective is it? You can't depend on your experience — or mine.

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.[/td] [/tr][/tbl][/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast