Thanks

Getting a 0x8024402F error after restoring Windows 10 from a backup

I upgraded my system to Windows 10 back on Aug 6th and didn't have any problems until yesterday. I won't go into the details of that issue but it forced me to restore Windows 10 from an Acronis TrueImage backup I had taken on the 8/7. Although the restore went well and Windows 10 is back up and running, I am unable now to run Windows update as each time I do so it give me this 0x8024402F error that says that there was some problem installing updates.

Note that this is not an internet connection error as I can browse the internet and download updates to other apps. I have tried the Windows 10 Troubleshooter for Windows update as an Admin and it says it found a configuration problem and fixed it but I still get the error. I have run various system scans and a CHKDSK and they find nothing wrong. I have searched the internet high and low for a solution this problem but the only thing I find seems to be focused on fixes to Windows 7 and Windows 8.x, not Windows 10.

So, has anyone encountered this problem on Windows 10 and has successfully fixed it and was able to resume getting updates? If so, can you please let me know what worked for you>

Thanks
    You can try from an elevated Command Prompt (without the quotes) "dism /online /cleanup-image /retorehealth"

Be patient; it can take a while to run.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    You can try from an elevated Command Prompt (without the quotes) "dism /online /cleanup-image /retorehealth"

Be patient; it can take a while to run.
    Did this before I posted my problem. No effect.

Thanks
    Read this and see if it will help you.
    http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/4...atest+Articles

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Read this and see if it will help you.
    http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/4...atest+Articles
    Unfortunately, the article you pointed me to didn't resolve my issue.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

Thanks
    Could be a long shot but I saw this in another post somewhere for that error. Uncheck "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" in Advanced Options under Windows Update.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Could be a long shot but I saw this in another post somewhere for that error. Uncheck "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" in Advanced Options under Windows Update.
    Thanks for the suggestion but that failed too.

Thanks
    I hate it when this happens......

Today we turned on our computer that was getting the 0x8024402f error while attempting to invoke Windows Update and, on it's own, the machine decided to check in with the update server on it's own and downloaded 14 updates on the first pass and then after the first restart it downloaded yet another patch on it's own. I compared the patches that were downloaded on this machine against my laptop who also downloaded several patches today and all 15 patches I have are also on my laptop. I don't know if, in trying certain suggestions to fix the 0x8024402f error I triggered something that required a cold boot but now things are working and I don't know why. I would hate it if this whole time the PC was unable to ask for updates until the update server contacted the PC first to establish an update relationship but I guess that might be possible as I don't believe that there were any new updates until today. Anyway, this is still a mystery and I'm unhappy that I don't have an answer why.

Thanks
    Windows 10 is the "new" Windows. It does stuff like that. As stuff that's broken gets patched, the patches are pushed out to the machines that need them. Yes, it's different.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Glad to hear that it is working again regardless of how.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Windows 10 is the "new" Windows. It does stuff like that. As stuff that's broken gets patched, the patches are pushed out to the machines that need them. Yes, it's different.
    Yes, but......

When you know that there are patches and updates out there that are needed, you shouldn't have to worry about the machine waiting around until it's ready for an update to suddenly wake up out of a deep slumber and decide that it's time to update your system. Kind of bogus if you ask me. What's frustrating to me is that deep down I feel that I somehow fixed it and I don't know what I did as I did so many things. I would have liked to have posted something on the forum that says "I did this and it fixed it" instead of "Magic occurred, and my PC's now fixed".

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggy451 View Post
    What's frustrating to me is that deep down I feel that I somehow fixed it and I don't know what I did as I did so many things. I would have liked to have posted something on the forum that says "I did this and it fixed it" instead of "Magic occurred, and my PC's now fixed".
    And you may be right, after all. Windows has some stubbornness to it. As an example, Robocopy has a default Retry of 1,000,000 times to copy a file, with a default wait time between tries of 30 seconds. I wouldn't doubt that there are stubborn parts of the Kernel that don't give up for a long, long time.

Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    One of the suggestions I saw for this WU error was to keep retrying periodically and it would eventually work. Perhaps your re-boot reset something. BTW, the server does not contact the PC first. It is the other way around. The PC contacts the update server.

Joe