Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PCIe USB3 card conflict with Internet connection

Windows 7 64 Bit PC

I installed the [Cord-free Power Supply] Inateck PCI-E to USB 3.0 2-Port PCI Express Card, Mini PCI-E USB 3.0 Hub Controller Adapter, with Internal USB 3.0 20-PIN Connector, Expand Another Two USB 3.0 Ports - No Additional Power Connection Needed into my one PCIe slot.

Then installed the driver from the CD: Renesas Electronics USB3 0 Host Controller after Windows 7 had picked up the new hardware.

All seemed to be working well. I tested an external hard drive and got very fast transfer of files through the USB port.

Then I noticed the Broadband Internet connection had stopped, and there was a red cross over the connection icon in the lower right corner.

I rebooted to see if this would resolve the connection. For a time it did, until I went online and after a few minutes the connection was gone again.

The troubleshooter said their was no connection to the adapter.

I rebooted again and had the same problem. Internet connection was working, then it would go and the red cross would appear on the connection icon.

So I uninstalled the Renesas Electronics USB3 0 Host Controller driver. Staightaway the Internet connection returned. It then went again after a few minutes. I shut down and took out the PCIe card, rebooted and the Internet connection was then fine and stable.

There seems to be a conflict somewhere, but I have no idea how to resolve it. Any help would be appreciated.

The motherboard is Asus M4A77TD Pro.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've come across something like this before and I think it was resolved by sticking the network card in another slot - perhaps a full one if it's currently in a mini - but can't remember where I saw the fix.

Thanks
    @ Sudo15

According to ASUS website OP's motherboard has Realtek PCI-e onboard LAN driver.

@ cornfield

Suggest you download/install the latest Realtek LAN driver for the LAN chip on your motherboard (you'll have to look for the chip model on your motherboard - will be something like "RTL8111C"; or look in Device Manager to see what chip driver is currently installed).

Once you have installed the latest LAN driver you could try again with your USB3 card.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It will have a separate Wireless card though - won't it ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    It will have a separate Wireless card though - won't it ?
    I don't see any mention of a wireless network connection in the OP's #1 post.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Then I noticed the Broadband Internet connection had stopped, and there was a red cross over the connection icon in the lower right corner.

This refers to the system tray WiFi icon ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you each for your responses. Let me respond to your points in turn.

The installed driver for the PCIe is "AMD PCI Express (3GIO) Filter Driver." I tried clicking to update it and after a search Microsoft said it was the latest driver.

In Network adapters the is a "Realteck PCIe GBE Family Controller." A search for a new driver Windows says it is up to date.

I should mention that when I booted up after inserting the card, Windows detected the new hardware and installed a driver and said it was working properly. It was only after that that I installed the "Renesas Electronics USB3 0 Host Controller" from the CD that came with the card, following the instructions in the manual. It says without this driver the card will not function.

When I uninstalled that driver I did so from the installed programs list.

This is a PC and there is no Wifi installed. My Internet connection is wired straight from the router. It is this connection that gets broken and makes a red cross appear in the system tray.

So there is no network card to move to another slot. The Internet connection is directly into the motherboard connection.

Also there is only one PCIe slot, so I cannot move the USB3 card to a different slot.

I hope this information makes things a bit clearer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15;1019181...
    This refers to the system tray WiFi icon ?
    What WiFi icon? The OP mentions "Broadband Internet connection" but says nothing about WiFi, so unless OP posts again to say differently we have reason to assume OP is using the onboard LAN adapter w/ an Ethernet cable to router.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2015-08-27 at 05:16.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    What WiFi icon? The OP mentions "Broadband Internet connection" but says nothing about WiFi, so unless OP posts again to say differently we have reason to assume OP is using the onboard LAN adapter w/ an Ethernet cable to router.
    Please see my previous message which answers this point. I might also note that when the Internet connection fails it also fails for the VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cornfield View Post
    ...In Network adapters the is a "Realteck PCIe GBE Family Controller." A search for a new driver Windows says it is up to date...
    Nevertheless that is why I suggested in my #3 post to install the latest driver from the Realtek website: http://www.realtek.com.tw/

Click the link on the right for "Realteck PCIe GBE Family Controller Series".

EDIT: Windows Update might say the driver is up-to-date but in my experience WU is often wrong. The latest drivers are always available from the chip-maker's website.

There is a major exception for laptop display (VGA) drivers which are often modified by the OEM. But that doesn't apply in this case - we are discussing a LAN adapter driver issue w/ a desktop motherboard which has nothing to do with VGA drivers.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2015-08-27 at 05:48.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Nevertheless that is why I suggested in my #3 post to install the latest driver from the Realtek website: http://www.realtek.com.tw/

Click the link on the right for "Realteck PCIe GBE Family Controller Series".
    Thank you. I have followed the link but have no idea which of the Windows 7 drivers to select from the list!

Thanks
    ...when the Internet connection fails it also fails for the VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter.
    If the LAN connection fails for the host then obviously it will have failed for VB also.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thank you. I have followed the link but have no idea which of the Windows 7 drivers to select from the list!
    Thanks for the clarification on the Internet connection.

After clicking on the Quick link for the GBE Family Controller Series, you want the 3rd one down which is for Win 7 and is v.7.092.

As the 'net is fine without the card I was wondering if this could be a PSU problem in that more power is required or the PSU isn't delivering as much as it once did.

I don't know if HDMonitor would show any difference in the voltages with and without the card fitted, but it would be worth checking.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hwmonitor.html
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-08-27 at 07:20.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification on the Internet connection.

After clicking on the Quick link for the GBE Family Controller Series, you want the 3rd one down which is for Win 7 and is v.7.092.

As the 'net is fine without the card I was wondering if this could be a PSU problem in that more power is required or the PSU isn't delivering as much as it once did.

I don't know if HDMonitor would show any difference in the voltages with and without the card fitted, but it would be worth checking.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hwmonitor.html
    Thank you. I will download that driver and see what happens.

I still have a feeling it is the card causing the problem, since removing it cures the Internet connection, and just inserting it makes the connection drop out after a bit of time, especially if I call up a web page.

I have noticed on the reviews on Amazon for these sort of USB cards that some motherboards get conflicts and there is no way or resolving them save by trying a different card. It may be this one is drawing too much power, but the break in Internet connection happens with nothing plugged into the card.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I have updated the Realteck PCIe GBE Family Controller. I did it by letting the install run in Repair mode and it updated the driver to the latest (dated 15/01/2015) (The old one was dated 2009)

This worked perfectly, so I shut down and inserted the USB3 card and booted up. After a few moments the red cross was back. Looking at Device manager, this time there was a yellow exclamation make against Network Adapters. Clicking it it said "this device cannot start".

So I shut down, removed the USB3 card again, booted up and the Network works properly again, and no yellow exclamation marks.

It seems my motherboard just does not like this card and throws all its toys out of the pram!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast