New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 being forced on multiple computers

I run a shop with about 70 Windows 7 computers and a colleague runs a shop with a dozen or so 7 machines. We both discovered this week that many (and in his case, all) of these machines are attempting to update to Windows 10 and are failing. The kicker is that neither of us, nor our users, has requested the upgrade!

The details for these entries indicate error code 80240020.

Is anyone having similar issues? Why would these systems be trying to upgrade when it was not requested? I am certain that I did not request the upgrade for my own computer and it is having the same issue.

I need to ensure that none of my machines actually succeeds in the update. I do not want to upgrade any of my 7 boxes but it appears that Microsoft is trying to force it anyway.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2015-08-27 at 09:31. Reason: Edited to remove image code for image that could not be viewed

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can apparently prevent downloads via Group Policy: Admins rail against 'unwanted and unexpected' Windows 10 downloads

And also disable OS upgrades via a Group Policy setting: How to manage Windows 10 notification and upgrade options (KB3080351)
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-08-27 at 10:10.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    All good advice, and thank you. However, the underlying issue remains: Why is Windows 7 attempting to upgrade to 10 when nobody has requested it? Is Microsoft pulling a fast one? Are there computers out there that are, in fact, successfully completing the upgrade when it wasn't asked for?

Something very fishy is going on here and I would like to know what it is.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just because people think you're paranoid doesn't mean you aren't being followed.....

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by InfoSight View Post
    Are there computers out there that are, in fact, successfully completing the upgrade when it wasn't asked for?
    I don't think so; haven't heard of any such cases (yet!).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For what it's worth, this behavior appears to have stopped this week after the patch Tuesday updates. Apparently Microsoft found and fixed the problem.

Thanks
    I've seen two computers in the last two days that did not "reserve" Win 10, yet Windows Update history shows failed installation attempts for Win 10 every day for the past 2 weeks. I've just yesterday tried Woody's suggestion for blocking it. Let's see if that stops it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by InfoSight View Post
    All good advice, and thank you. However, the underlying issue remains: Why is Windows 7 attempting to upgrade to 10 when nobody has requested it? Is Microsoft pulling a fast one? Are there computers out there that are, in fact, successfully completing the upgrade when it wasn't asked for?

Something very fishy is going on here and I would like to know what it is.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________

I have two PC's both running W8.1Prox64. #1PC automatically, and with no known request made by me, *successfully updated to W10Px64, after quietly downloading all the W10 install files to #1PC.

I am purposely *trying to Upgrade #2PC to W10P, but I have not been successful and all attempts to update using numerous methods have failed, with error 80240020 and numerous other errors messages. It appears the errors all relate to a Windows "Modern" update capability. This *in-ability to install the W10 Upgrade is all over the internet; with fixes for some and continued failures for others. MS has not answered your question above to my knowledge, but it appears MS would like everyone to upgrade to W10 and has made the annoyance difficult to ignore.
    "... don't think it won't happen just because it hasn't happened yet..."

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Seems that the cat is out of the bag. Articles have appeared this afternoon on both ZDNet and Ars describing what is going on. Needless to say I have removed the KB in question.

Thanks
    You have to wonder whether MS is doing stuff like this on purpose, or if they are just inept. I tend to lean toward inept. I just find it hard to believe that anyone would think people would be ok with OS upgrades that happen out of the blue, without any notice or request for approval.
    I see so much that goes wrong with Windows that cannot be explained by greed or underhanded agendas, but which can only be explained by poorly written software.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Many people do not pay attention to the Windows Update settings. I think that it is more likely Microsoft is doing what the Windows Update settings allow.

Joe