New Lounger
    Thanks

WIN 10 Killed Computer

A friend has a Asus ultrabook running Win 7 64 bit. When he upgraded to Win 10 the computer basically died. When he turns it on all he gets is the fan running and a black screen. Any ideas on how to revive it?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Attempt to boot it from a Windows Installation CD / USB. If you don't have one try the Hirens rescue disk.
    If it boots it's probably a corrupt W10 install and you may have to re-install W7 from scratch - unless you have a full backup.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

bmcintoshfl (2015-08-27)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcintoshfl View Post
    A friend has a Asus ultrabook running Win 7 64 bit. When he upgraded to Win 10 the computer basically died. When he turns it on all he gets is the fan running and a black screen. Any ideas on how to revive it?
    This is really strange. It sounds to me as if he is not even getting to POST (Power On Self Test.) I would unplug it, remove the battery, and let it sit overnight. Then try. You could also try removing the hard drive and turning the computer on to see what happens. It should give an error saying there is no disk, or OS is not found. Can you get into the BIOS configuration? If you can I would do a default/safe settings, and see what happens. But, it appears as if you can't get that far.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to djohnson For This Useful Post:

bmcintoshfl (2015-08-27)