Lounger
    Thanks

Connecting two wired routers

Hi

I want to do a LAN (Local Area Network) to WAN (Wide Area Network) connection between two wired routers. I found these directions but need some clarification on Step 6. It states:

Connect the computer to the secondary router. Open the configuration page. If you are making a LAN-to-LAN network, change the IP address so that it matches the first router, except increase the last digit by one (e.g. 192.168.1.1 becomes 192.168.1.2). If you are making a LAN-to-WAN network, change the IP address so that it matches the first router, except increase the second-to-last digit by one (e.g. 192.168.1.1 becomes 192.168.2.1). Ensure that the subnet mask is the same as the primary router.

If you are making a LAN-to-WAN network, change the secondary router's WAN IP address to 192.168.1.51.

What I do not understand is the instructions state to change the router's IP address so that it matches the primary router's IP address, except for a change to the second-to-last digit. Then, in the last sentence of the instructions, it states: change the secondary router's WAN IP address to 192.168.1.51.

Is the router's IP addresses something different than a WAN IP address? If so, under what section of the typical router's admin screens do you usually find a WAN IP address field.

Thanks in advance for any clarification you can give on this.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What are you trying to do with the two routers?
    Do you want to join two separate networks?
    Do you want to make one big network or keep them separate?
    As much info as possible please.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Devices connected to the Primary router (Uverse NVG589 modem/router) have full internet access. Devices connected to the secondary router will have filtered internet access. I do not know if that makes one big network, or two networks.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It can be either, depending on what your router will do.
    You can turn it into one big network by connecting the WAN port on R2 to a LAN port on R1, then disable the DHCP server on R2. All IP addresses and DNS will be handled by R1 and machines connected to R2 can (probably) be restricted by the R2 config.
    If you want fine, per machine control, you need two networks with R2 providing IP and DNS as well as R1. This has the downside of Double NATting machines connected to R2. To do this you just connect as above and leave the DHCP server enabled.

Note: this pre-supposes that R2 is a cable router, not ADSL.

Why can't you use R1 to limit internet connection for some machines?

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    I probably could do it the way you described with the Uverse NVG589. I am familiar with my secondary router's set up screens, having had it for multiple years. I got the set up done, but wasn't clear on the distinction between the router's IP address and the WAN IP address.