Lurker
    Thanks

About NOT wanting to upgrade to Win 10

I clicked on the button that started the process of "upgrading" to Windows 10. I thought I was just going to "look" at it, find out about it, and then have the choice to accept the upgrade or not. I have not allowed it to complete the download, or installation, of the upgrade, but "they" immediately took away the use of my favorite email program, to date: Windows Live Mail; (this means it no longer accepts my user name and password, with no way to change that, that I can see.) and will only allow me to use Outlook, which I almost detest. It and Hotmail are no comparison to Outlook Express. No email program I've ever used is as good as that one for me, including Windows Live.

I'm trying to find a way to disable the grip that Windows 10 has on my Window 7 Professional system. The "two-step" sign-in, especially is terribly annoying. I'll be VERY careful which, and who's, buttons I push, from now on; if I can "keep my right mind". Can you please tell me if this can all be undone? I've even tried going to a "restore point". That seemed to be happening and then I got the message that it had failed. I repeated the process with a different date with the same failed result. I've tried to use the help page, and to contact them, but they don't reply with a real person, only an email that said this: "You have reached an unmonitored alias". Do you have a solution for me? Thank you for your time, and consideration, Darlene
    Last edited by ruirib; 2015-08-27 at 15:35. Reason: moved from contact us

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Are you sure about not installing Win10? Please double check which version of Windows you are running. If you have not upgraded to Windows 10 then your computer should be as it always has been. You may have to try to repair Windows Live Mail. What "two step sign-in" do you mean?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have experienced a similar problem, on an HP 64-6it workstation, that keeps getting a failure to install the Win10 upgrade, even when it has NOT been reserved. Here is the dialog presented when double-clicking the failed to install message in Windows Update:

FailedWin10Upgrade-UNWANTED.jpg

Here is a screen snapshot of the ongoing "failure to install" messages from Windows Update:

FailedWin10Upgrade-UNWANTED-2.jpg

I am not sure what causes this situation or why Windows Update is continuing to attempt the install. Good thing it is failing or this would be a disaster in the making.

Since the above images were gathered, the following have been un-installed: KB2952664 & KB3035583. Yet, the attempted install was still tried and failed after necessary reboot.

Has anybody else hit this situation? Is this an error in Windows Update? It is deliberate by Microsoft? Once again, no reserve was ever issued for Win10.

Thanks
    Try Tweaking.com's Windows repair all in one:
    http://www.tweaking.com/content/page...ll_in_one.html

Make sure the Repair Windows Update box is checked. it doesn't hurt to run the other fixes that are checked by default.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update:

It turns out that Windows Update was set to automatic. This gets you the download notification even if you DID NOT reserve the Win10 upgrade through GWX.

Set Windows Updates to manual (notify about new updates but let you download and install), and when the download shows up, in the list, mark it as hidden). Later, you can unhide it when you are ready to make the change.