Lounger
    Thanks

WORD 97 NORMAL TEMPLATE (WORD 97)

I'm trying to find some basic info on making changes to The Normal Template. How you do it? Should you back up the Normal Template beforehand etc....?

Evertyime I open a Word 97 Document - The Web Toolbar is automatically selected and appears at the top of the window. I went to View Toolbars and deselected it - closed the Document - but everytime I open any Word Document the Web Toolbar keeps coming up.

Do I have to open the Normal Template and edit it to stop the Web Toolbar from loading?
    How do I acheive this?
    Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WORD 97 NORMAL TEMPLATE (WORD 97)

Hi sclnet:
    1. Your first question is very broad, and people have different opinions. Some don't want to modify normal.dot, but prefer to use other global templates or add-ins. Then too, It all depends upon what changes you're making.
    2. Yes, you should back up your normal template before making any significant changes. I keep several, calling them normal.bk1, normal.bk2, etc.
    3. One thing you can do with the web toolbar is to remove all the buttons, so that the toolbar shrinks. Then put it in a corner somewhere & close Word. Reopen & deselect the toolbar. Now, when it pops up, at least it won't block everything useful.
    4. Open normal.dot, hide the web toolbar, type a character, then delete it, close normal.dot--saving changes. The web toolbar shouldn't pop up on new documents. This won't prevent it from popping up when you click a hyperlink or take certain other actions.

I've also written to someone who created a template that prevents the webbar from appearing. I will see what he says about distributing it or making it available.

Hope this helps.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The web toolbar is a persistent critter.
    It will automatically appear any time you open a document in web layout view.

You may have inadvertently saved your Normal template in Web Layout View.

If so, Open Normal.dot directly, change the view to other than WEb Layour view, save Normal.dot, exit Word, and the problem may go away.

Thanks

See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/webtoolbar.htm> How to Get Rid of the Web Toolbar</A>.

You should always backup your normal.dot before you make any big changes in it, at least if you store anything important in it. I try to store all of my macros, keyboard modifications, and toolbars in other global templates and styles in document templates. You might want to look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm> Template Basics</A> (addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm) for information on the different kinds of templates, where they are stored, and how to get them to show up under the File => New dialog.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Lounger
    Thanks

John Mcghie says that Word's Built-In Styles (for Body Text, Headings) have special properties.
    "...They Have Special Properties that will save you a lot of time.Most Users Never Find them.."

Can you explain what he means?

If I am creating a Template for a specific Document should I create a Custom Body Text, Headings Style
    or use the Built-In Style like John says?
    Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

This is question of religion.

One approach is to use the built-in styles PROPERLY.
    Alas, many who use the built-in styles do not use the styles as intended. For example, the Heading 1-9 styles are intended to be used ONLY for paragraphs that use Word's automastic paragraph numbering. Some people misuse the Heading 1-9 styles for other purposes.

Some people base their custom styles on the Normal styles, others say that's a NO NO because then ant change to the Normal style propogates thru the custom style.

The most important thing is to think about your custom styles in advance and design them accordingly.

Thanks

As Howard Kaikow explained, the Heading 1-9 styles are especially useful for numbered paragraphs. Heading styles have their own keyboard shortcuts. (Alt-Ctrl-1, etc.) I disagree with Howard on only using the heading styles for numbered paragraphs in that I sometimes use them unnumbered in documents that do not use numbered paragraphs. To be best used, the "based-on" structure should be set carefully.

Heading styles can be automatically picked up in generating Tables of Contents. You can also set the outline level for paragraphs using your own styles and have those paragraphs picked up.

Heading styles can be automatically applied by Word when you type something that Word thinks is a heading. Virtually everyone I know of turns this feature OFF as soon as they figure out what it is that Word is doing.

I try to follow John's advice in dealing with Word. He has much more experience than I do and has spent a lot of time analyzing why things happen the way they do.

When he talks about using the built-in styles, though, he is not talking about using them as they come from Microsoft. You should modify them to fit your purposes.

Another example of the built-in styles is the Header (and Footer) style. It is the key to using the AutoText listing in the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://addbalance.com/word/headerfootertoolbar.htm> Header and Footer toolbar</A>.

I tend to not base my styles on the normal style and try to avoid using the normal style. This is due to problem instances when I was new to using styles. I'm not sure that this is really necessary, but it is easy enough to do that I continue the pattern.

Generally if I expect text to be copied from one document into another and I want the copied text to retain its formatting, I will use custom styles that will not appear in the target document. This is rare.

Regardless of whether you use built-in styles or your own styles, doing all formatting in a document template using styles is a key to creating templates that will be easy to use and maintain.

I assume that when you are quoting John, you are referring to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart2.htm>How to Create a Template (Part 2)</A>. While I'm not sure that I would agree with Howard's characterization of preferences in this area as being religious in nature, this article is my Bible when it comes to how to construct a template.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very very much to Howard, John Mcghie, and Charles for your insight.
    My head was spinning on this issue - I've got a basic understanding now.

Yes I did study John's Create a Template II. I was going to follow it specifically to create a Template but John did all his measurements in metric and also A4 paper size. Is it possible to convert his measurements to 8.5 X 11 paper and inches so I can practice building a Template with his steps?

Thanks

Thanks

Yes, it is possible. With your permission, I'll email you the one that I've done.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, please go ahead and email it to me. That would be awesome. I appreciate it. I am going to take several days and meticulously practice John Mcghie's steps in creating a Template. I want to get this basic process down so I can do it in my sleep. By the way, the addbalance website is great - I'm learning a lot there.

Thanks again!