New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy win 7 recent problem

Help !!. Unable to open or download exe files? in win 7. Don't know when this started but have tried to download pdf insurance pages, the "open,save" box opens but nothing happens when clicking "open"
    Help gratefully accepted.
    Last edited by sniggum; 2015-08-28 at 11:14. Reason: spellin error

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Is your problem with downloading exe files or opening a downloaded pdf file? Can you save the pdf file and then open it?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Cannot download exe? files ie updates from CC or Iobit etc, cannot download my pdf insurance files.
    When accessing the web sites to update the programmes or download pdf's an opening bar shows, but clicking any of the 3 options has no effect or result. Have been unable to get Windows updates for several weeks. the response says system is restricted by administrator.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sniggum View Post
    Cannot download exe? files ie updates from CC or Iobit etc, cannot download my pdf insurance files.
    When accessing the web sites to update the programmes or download pdf's an opening bar shows, but clicking any of the 3 options has no effect or result. Have been unable to get Windows updates for several weeks. the response says system is restricted by administrator.
    Is this on a personal computer you own or a company computer you work on? Have you tried a different Internet browser if there is one installed such as Firefox, Chrome, Opera, SeaMonkey, Torch, etc.?

It sounds like maybe an infection of some type but since you can't get CCleaner it may take more to clean it up. I usually run a fully up-to-date antivirus program followed by Malwarebytes then clean things up with CCleaner.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Your admin account could have become corrupt and you would need to enable the Hidden Admin Account to create another, but you could also see if you can download the Windows Repair program from www.tweaking.com in Safe Mode with Networking if you are being blocked from downloading anything in normal mode.

This program is run in Safe Mode anyway and you would need at least the first three boxes checked plus any others you want to include, but you could leave them at default and wait for it to do its thing.

I'd advise creating a full external system image before running it rather than relying on the registry back up the program creates.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-08-28 at 16:24.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Talking Seems to be resolved..

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Your admin account could have become corrupt and you would need to enable the Hidden Admin Account to create another, but you could also see if you can download the Windows Repair program from www.tweaking.com in Safe Mode with Networking if you are being blocked from downloading anything in normal mode.

This program is run in Safe Mode anyway and you would need at least the first three boxes checked plus any others you want to include, but you could leave them at default and wait for it to do its thing.

I'd advise creating a full external system image before running it rather than relying on the registry back up the program creates.
    I tried all suggestions on this site and others, nothing worked so I bought Reimage as had been suggested. This programme has repaired the problems and the laptop is now running normally. Thank you to those who made useful suggestions.