Star Lounger
    Thanks

Malware or False Alarm

I occasionally like a game of poker. I haven't played in some years and decided to sign up to 888, dowloaded the software and everything was fine.

I used to use a program called Holdem Indicator for which I have a paid license and who also run promotions for 888 so everything seems legitimate.

As always on download I checked with MSE and Malwarebytes Pro everything reported clean

I then installed HI and noticed that when I restarted the pc it was taking 10 - 20 seconds longer to start with MBAM seeming to be doing something but not giving any errors.

Now, here's the interesting part, I started Holdem Indicator and then the 888 software which promptly hung and I could not kill the HI process in Task Manager. Rebooted and tried again, this time I got warning from Win7 that the MSE had been switched off though Malwarebytes was giving no warning.

Rebooted again this time the 888 and HI software worked perfectly, MSE was online (according to the systray) and no warnings from Malwarebytes.

At this point paranoia had kicked and as I always take a weekly disk image I reinstalled an earlier backup as I was somewhat concerned to say the least by now.

So I was wondering what members view of this was. No virus was reported but why would the AV be turned off and everything then work and appear normal again on the next reboot. MSE isn't that great I know but the HI version was June 2015 and Malwarebytes didn't report any problems at all.

Does anyone have any ideas or is this the right time to be be supremely grateful for image backups?

Thanks
    Did you do any investigation of Holdem Indicator before installing it? Read reviews, read comments of other users.

The only thing which sounds a little suspicious is that MSE was switched off. But not enough to convince me that something suspicious is going on.

I would suggest that you get something better than MSE. Microsoft has admitted that they don't put much effort into it. I wouldn't trust my security to a product like that.

I use Trend Micro (there are some other good products as well). I pay about US $50 per year for three licenses. I figure that if I pay them, they will work harder to make sure that my computer is protected.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for the late response, it's the Bank Holiday here and I had house guests.

Yes I checked it with MSE and with Malwarebytes before I installed and it came out clean. I have also used it in the past however that was some years ago so perhaps things have changed.

I use Trend Micro Housecall as an extra AV test. I did try Kasperski but it started causing some short lockups ( around 5 - 10 seconds) with Malwarebytes which is why I went back to MSE as the two work flawlessly together.

I definitely agree with you on using paid versions and not only for AV, there's no such thing as "free" and a lot of pup's simply ignore the checkboxes to not install in any case. Once consideration (payment) is involved then there are contractual liabilities placed on the vendor (in the UK at least) that the good/service should be fit for purpose etc.