New Lounger
    Thanks

Saving entire website (portability)

Hello all,

I am getting ready to go visit customers in remote areas that may not have internet connectivity. I'd like to take a copy of my companies webSITE, not just a single webPAGE. I know saving a page is simple, but can anyone recommend a good and preferably free way to capture the website including all links?

I'd used WGet in the past, but don't know if it's kept pace with the ever evolving world of webdesign.

Thanks in advance.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For a website written in HTML code, as long as you have the website files in the same RELATIVE positions to each other as they are on the live site - all files, images, referenced documents, whatever - you can play them on an unconnected machine in just the same way as you would over the net. Just save the files in a folder on your drive, with subfolders, if required, depending on how your website is configured, but keep the relative references correct, and, obviously, remove any references to where the site is hosted on the web.

If your website involves a database, mySQL, for example, you would need to have a PHP development environment, such as XAMPP, free to download, from Apache Friends, but takes a bit of configuring.

Thanks
    I've used HTTrack for this: http://www.httrack.com/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd suggest using XAMPP and then putting your whole site on a thumb drive on to serve from a machine (either yours or theirs). That way they'll be able to see it in all it's glory (assuming your present site is being served using Apache). If it's something like a catalog site then you could perhaps leave it with them as a promotional item...?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If it's your company's website, presumably you have privileged access. Even if you aren't the webmaster you should be able to access that individual.

Therefore you ought to be able to simply copy the site files directly. In IIS it is (or used to be, I haven't administered an IIS site in some time) found in folder INetPub by default. The limitation on this technique is that you won't get off-site link following.

The advantage is that this technique is simple and direct. And for many purposes I'd bet you'd get enough functionality.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another alternative is to visit each web page and then on your browser select the File menu and then Save page As. This is a bit of a long winded method when you come to stitch the pages back together and the use of FTP to download them as BHarder says is preferable but it will get you a copy of all pages and images and their relative links

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It has been a while since I used it, but WebReaper was a good solution when I needed it.

http://www.webreaper.net/