New Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow do I need to format a secondary drive when converting main drive from 32 to 64 bit?

I have Win 7 on an HP 64 bit computer BUT I'm running the 32 bit Win 7 OS. I want to format that drive, installing Win 10 64 bit.

I also have a secondary drive with assorted data and maybe a program or two, and that drive is SATA, like the master drive.

But can I just leave it as it is, after formatting the drive the OS will be on? Any reason to format both when going to 64 bit Windows?

Thanks
    Best to disconnect the secondary hard drive before formatting and installing W10. Reconnect it once the fresh install is complete and has been running/tested for a few hours.

Are you moving to a Retail version of W10?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Best to disconnect the secondary hard drive before formatting and installing W10. Reconnect it once the fresh install is complete and has been running/tested for a few hours.

Are you moving to a Retail version of W10?
    Nope. Just planning to use the provided Win 10 ISO method.

Thanks
    Hmm, the 'free' version is only activated when upgraded from within a qualifying OS; this would preclude switching from x86 to x64, imo.

You can run the Enterprise x64 version as a 3 month (90-day) trial, or join the Insider Program and install it for free.

Without first having upgraded to W10, you can't do a 'free' clean install, as far as I am aware. To qualify for a free x64 W10, you would first need to upgrade from a qualifying x64 OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You may be correct. I have a retail Win 7 Ultimate disk. And my understanding was (maybe wrongly) that if I haven't installed a Win 7 64 bit version yet, that disk will let me do it. (It's the disk used to install Win 7 32 bit on this machine, even though it was a 64 bit device.)

And then I'd go to the straight upgrade to Windows 10 64.

Or, for future reference, is it too late to get into the Insider program?
    Last edited by Tom Sowa; 2015-08-28 at 17:43.

Thanks
    Retail W7 versions were sold as both x86 and x64. The OEM/Small Business type sold through retail outlets were either x86 or x64, not both.

If you do have Retail W7, you should be able to install the x64 version from that, upgrade to SP1 and then upgrade to W10 - after some 30 days, this would invalidate you using the W7 license again.

Yes, you can still join the Insider, I think there was a new build released only a few days ago - but it's more intrusive, you can't turn down the dial on the data being fed back to MS and it might be a little more clunky/unstable from time to time as they test fixes/tweaks, etc.; it's effectively a rolling Beta version.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    With Insider, I'll be just going through rolling upgrades?

My current install is Version: 10.0.10011.16384.

I've already been enrolled in Insider, I discover. Just haven't participated yet.

Thanks
    Yes, expect more/earlier updates than with the 'free' or Retail versions + a few more/different bugs. I think there should still be a 'slow' and 'fast' ring choice, slow should be a little less effort - but maybe less 'exciting' to use

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    IMO, if you upgrade 32-bit Win7 to Win10 32-bit you could then do a clean install of Win10 64-bit. The key for Win10 is tied to the hardware not the OS. You should be able to leave your data drive alone.

Joe

Thanks
    Good point, Joe!